Why is Touch ID not working on my iPad?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member
edited March 2023 in iOS

Touch ID is toggled, but it is not working. I have to manually type in the password whenever I login to 1Password. How can I fix this. This feature works well on my iPhone using face recognition.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: macOS 16
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @jazzman! 👋

I'm sorry that you're being prompted for your account password and not Touch ID when using 1Password on your iPad. Can you try to restart your iPad and then try to unlock 1Password using Touch ID again? If that still doesn't work then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

It's working now. Go figure. I don't think it worked the first time I restarted it, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I restart it every morning. After this morning's restart, it worked just fine. So thanks for your help.

By the way, many websites advise you to close your browser when you log out of their site. When using 1Pass through the Safari Extension, is that necessary? Just trying to be safe. Please advise.

• @jazzman

It's working now.

Great! Let us know if you need anything.

many websites advise you to close your browser when you log out of their site [...] is that necessary?

Not really. There is a lot of advice for online security that hasn't been updated in a fair while, and I wouldn't say that you need to close your browser after signing out. If you want to, you could lock 1Password, but that's about as far as I'd ever suggest taking that.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@GreyM1P

I usually lock 1Password when I'm not using it. What I was really referring to was a scenario where I may log in to five or six different websites during one session. I.e., Do I really need to close my browser after logging out of each website before I log in to another one? Many websites tell you to close your browser after logging out of their site. How do you handle this yourself?

• @jazzman

Websites should invalidate sessions, state, and cookies when you log out as long as everything is setup correctly and you're using a modern browser. I personally don't close my browser after logging out. That being said, I would recommend reaching out to the websites that you're using so that they can advise on the best practice when it comes to using their particular website. 🙂

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Thanks for your help, Dave. I've been using 1Password now since 2014. Your team has always been most helpful in addressing my concerns. Although not a computer whiz, I do consider myself a knowledgeable user. !Password has served my needs quite well, and I do appreciate what you all do. Thanks for assisting me in transitioning to 1Password 8 on all of my Apple devices.

• @jazzman

Thank you for the kind words and for being part of 1Password for so many years. Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any questions or issues that we can help with. 😊

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Dave, please take a look at my latest posted discussion question about Safari Extensions. I have not received any replies yet, but i'm sure you can help me with this. It's confusing. Hope you can help.

• @jazzman

It looks like my colleague has already replied to you in the other thread: https://1password.community/discussion/138683/do-i-need-to-activate-what-looks-like-a-duplicate-safari-extension-from-the-app-store

Please continue the conversation there. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.