To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Disappearing Passwords

Options
Geeba
Geeba
Community Member

My 1Password password/vaults have disappeared. I successfully migrated all my passwords from LastPass to 1Password. In conformity with all the recommendations of the security experts, I changed all the passwords using 1Password. Quite a laborious process. However, I have now noticed that many of the passwords that definitely were in 1Password, and were changed and saved and in 1Password vaults, have now disappeared. Completely (or at least I cannot find them). I would estimate that about 20-30 passwords have gone missing (after I changed the password at each site—which means the password in LastPass is no longer working, and I will have to go through the whole lost/recover password routine at each site). I have contacted 1Password support at least twice, and the only response I have received is that they are sorry I am having problems with getting my LastPass data and then providing instructions on alternative ways of migrating the passwords. Not helpful. This disappearing password phenomenon seems to have been a problem several years ago, but no recent discussions, and the old threads are not clear as to what happened or how it was fixed. BIG questions: how did this happen and where is my data. I am under the impression that nothing ever disappears from the internet, so it is a bit disturbing that my new passwords may be “out there” (and if not “out there”, then where). I only terminated LastPass because my info may have gotten “out there”, so the whole thing is a bit concerning. My free trial ends in 4-5 days, so any info would be helpful, but right now will be terminating subscription unless this can be figured out before then. Frankly, even if figured out, 1Password’s response (or lack thereof) is also of significant concern.
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Geeba It may be you edited your items in a way they vanished from the current view, filter, or tag, because the selection criteria doesn't match any more to your current view. Or you moved them to a different vault but don't include that vault into your current collection.

To see all your items, install the desktop app. It will provide the best overview and the best managing functionality.
    In this app, you have a "All Objects" view in the sidebar that includes all items from the vault you select in the sidebar. If you have multiple vaults, create a collection of vaults, so the "All Objects" view includes all objects from all vaults in the collection. However, I recommend you just store everything in the "Personal" Vault and use tags to organize different sort of items.

If it comes to items disappearing in general: I use 1Password for 2 years now, and there was never a single item that actually disappeared. Items moved out of the view, were sorted differently to what I thought, ended up in a different vault, but were never lost.

This discussion has been closed.