New to 1 password, have a few getting started questions.

Options

I just set up 1Password for the first time yesterday. I am using the web version rather than the desktop version. It was fairly simple to download the browser plug in and start saving a few passwords. It appears that 1Password gives me a personal vault upon setting up. Since I am just 1 person and this is not for a family, should I just stick with the personal vault, or would there be a need to create another vault?

I did a test and created a new vault, and it allowed me to edit the details and change the name of the vault. Is this not possible to do with the personal vault that gets created when you set up 1 password for the first time? I'm using the web version if that helps. Not sure if it can be done via the desktop version.

When it comes to storing logins are all the logins stored under the login category on the left-hand side? I have so many internet favorites in my browsers that I like to have folders and sub folders for. It just makes it more organized. Can that be done in 1 password for the logins ?

1Password Version: Web Version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Hi @Glacona,

While you can't edit the name of the default "Personal" or "Private" vault, you can edit the names of vaults you've created using the 1Password app or on 1Password.com.

You can use vaults to help organize your items in a way that makes the most sense to you. For instance you could make vaults based on themes and store specific logins that match that theme. An example of this is creating a vault for Banking items and storing all banking related sites in that vault.

Let us know how things come along.

• GIacona
    GIacona
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Is it possible to move the logins from the personal vault to the new vault I created? I'm planning to use 1 vault for everything including banking. Is this not okay to do, or not recommended due to security reasons?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

If you just want to store all your items and don't need to separate access or syncing some but not all to all your devices, you can stick with the default personal vault. No need to create an additional vault, then keep the personal vault empty (you're unable to remove that default vault, anyway).

For organizing things, you can assign tags. Don't use vaults for sorting and organizing, use tags instead. I recommend you download the desktop app, not use the website. The website is miles behind if it comes to usability. With the desktop and mobile apps, tags have better visibility and they can even be nested (use a / in the tag name to create a hierarchy).

Especially if you just started and need to import/edit many items, using the desktop or mobile app is way more user friendly than to use the website. If you consider using the app, do it now. Don't postpone it until you entered everything on the website.

• Thanks @Tertius3!

Are you all set now @GIacona? Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• GIacona
    GIacona
    Community Member
    Options

yes I am all set for now. Thanks for following up.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GIacona glad to hear that!

This discussion has been closed.