Can I achieve mouseless navigation in Safari/1Password 8?

Options
theloniousjoe
theloniousjoe
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When I get to a website requiring a login, I want to use my mouse as little as possible, preferably not at all, and I also want to use "1Password for Safari" instead of 1Password.app, since the browser extension is better when it comes to recognizing the site I'm at and thus the password I'd like it to autofill.

It used to be possible to achieve this, but I'm not sure it is any longer.

When I arrive at a login window, it seems I have a few options:
1. Use 1Password.app's keyboard shortcuts for "Quick Access" or "Autofill" -- which don't get quite to the proper 1Password item (if I have multiple items saved for the same domain - different items for different subdomains - the item for the subdomain I'm trying to log in to isn't the first one in the list if using "Quick Access" or "Autofill")...
2. Use the browser extension shortcut ("shift + command + X" in Safari on macOS) -- which picks the right item for the current subdomain, but doesn't return keyboard focus to the username or password field, thus requiring me to use my mouse to click "log in" (gasp!)...
3. Click the 1Password icon in the username or password field, which picks the right item for the current subdomain, and also retains keyboard focus in the username or password field upon entering the credential, which is great, because then I can just hit "enter" to submit the credentials! But I've already had to use my mouse at this point, so the whole mouseless method is already dead here.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows a solution to this problem, I would be greatly appreciative!!!

Comments

• Hi there @theloniousjoe

You should find that if your keyboard has focus on a form field on a website you can press the Down arrow key to show the 1Password menu below the field, then press Enter to select that item for autofill. That would remove the need for you to click the 1Password icon in the field, as you mentioned in option 3.

Give it a go and let me know how you find it. :)

— Grey

• theloniousjoe
    theloniousjoe
    Community Member
    Options

That works ok. I'm experimenting with it. I'm not totally sure how well keyboard focus stays in the form (username/password) fields if 1Password is locked at the moment when I arrive at the webpage, but I'm trying that out.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @theloniousjoe, if the extension is locked, you can invoke the keyboard shortcut for Quick Access to bring up a prompt to unlock the extension. After unlocking the extension, you can then use the keys as Grey mentioned to autofill. Try that out and let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

This discussion has been closed.