Joining a team while using an existing family account

friendly
friendly
Community Member

How does it work if I already have a family account and my company decides to switch to 1Password for teams?
Will I be able to leave everything like it is now but get an additional vault provided by my company?
Will I save money on paying for my family account?

Bonus question: if I am not mistaken, the SSH keys should live in the default valut. How can I use both home and work keys if they live in the different vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @friendly,

How does it work if I already have a family account and my company decides to switch to 1Password for teams?

For some background, every 1Password account is its own isolated "silo" - so if you have two 1Password accounts, you'll sign into them separately to view each set of vaults and maintain them. That said, you can add both accounts (personal and work) to the 1Password applications on your devices to view vaults from both your accounts.

If you're already part of a team using 1Password, and your company signs up for 1Password, they'll invite you as a separate user on that account. You can use the same account password to access your new company account. Each account will remain protected by a unique Secret Key.

Will I be able to leave everything like it is now but get an additional vault provided by my company?

Absolutely. Your existing family account will remain fully intact and unchanged after you join your team using 1Password. When you join the 1Password account managed by your company you'll sign in to that account separately, which comes with its own vaults.

Will I save money on paying for my family account?

If your company subscribes to 1Password Business, you'll be able to link your family account to your business, providing you with free 1Password Families membership so long as your company remains subscribed. This offer isn't available to 1Password Teams, however, so if that's the account type your company starts using, it would be recommended to keep maintaining your family account with your own subscription.

Bonus question: if I am not mistaken, the SSH keys should live in the default vault. How can I use both home and work keys if they live in the different vaults?

That's correct. Each 1Password account comes with its own Private or Personal vault. You can store and access your SSH keys in these types of vaults. 1Password Teams and Business are no different in that you get your own Private vault as a team member, where these work-related SSH keys can live and be used on your devices.

• friendly
    friendly
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Hi @ag_max ,
    Thank you for the in-depth explanation. Now I have a much clearer picture.
    Is it correct that I will be able to unlock my 1Password with my one password or biometrics after I authenticate to my work account just once?
    Did I understand you correctly that I can use two vaults with the SSH keys simultaneously as long as these are two private vaults of different accounts?

• @friendly,

Is it correct that I will be able to unlock my 1Password with my one password or biometrics after I authenticate to my work account just once?

That's correct. You can either use the same account password for both accounts or enable biometrics to unlock the 1Password 8 desktop app (Touch ID or Windows Hello).

Did I understand you correctly that I can use two vaults with the SSH keys simultaneously as long as these are two private vaults of different accounts?

Absolutely. You can store your SSH key items in either the Private vault of your business/team or family account. Each account has its own Private vault which is suitable for storing these keys.

• friendly
    friendly
    Community Member

Thank you. Hope to test this soon.

• Absolutely. Let our team know if we can be of any help with anything else in the meantime. 👍

This discussion has been closed.