One 1password login (same family) for each chrome profile

We use two chrome profiles for me and my spouse. We have a family 1password account and would like each of our 1password logins to be associated with each of our chrome profiles (so we have access to our private vaults). However, I can't get that separation to happen. I can sign into 1password as me on the chrome extension for both chrome profiles but extension > settings > "sign in to another account" locked things up to the point I had to uninstall the extension. That stopped when I turned off "integrate with 1password app". Now when I try "sign in to another account" I just get a loading dial that never resolves after entering the password for the other 1password user.

Chrome is updated and I'm using the newest version of the extension.

What else should I try? Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.1
Extension Version: 2.8.0
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:chrome profiles

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sara077! Thanks for reaching out. While I understand why you and your spouse would want to access your private vaults in the same browser (via different profiles), I am afraid it would not possible if you share a Families account.

1Password is designed to work with the features provided by the operating system that it runs on. Modern operating systems such as Mac and Windows provide separate user profiles to keep data separate, so 1Password takes advantage of this framework. 1Password has not yet made changes to allow for multiple users of the same account to share access on one user account at the OS level.

To be transparent, it is not that we don't want such a function. Our developers have chatted with users about it, and the feedback has been extremely valuable. The issue is that creating such a function would take a lot of time and resources. Our developers have not been able to allocate the time and resources for it just yet.

For now, my best recommendation is to create a separate Windows user account for your spouse and then install the 1Password app as well as the extension for them there. That's the best way to get things working properly.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share, but I do hope that the information here is helpful. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

• Sara077
    Sara077
    Community Member

Thanks, @Joy_1P, for the thorough description of what's going on. It really helps to understand.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Sara077 you are very welcome! Please do not hesitate to reach out again if you need help with anything else. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.