1Password on iPad requires Touch ID every time I use it

George47
George47
Community Member

Even though 1Password is open in background and auto lock on exit is set to four hours, I have to use Touch ID every time I open from an app. Also have to use the password bar above the keyboard. Doesn’t happen if I login from 1Password directly. This is my first iPad. Is this normal. I don’t have this issue on my iPhone. Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.3.2
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Password requires Touch ID every time

Comments

• Hi there @George47

Yes, what you're describing is expected behaviour. The main 1Password app will auto-lock following your 4-hour setting, but when you use Password AutoFill (the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard), you'll be asked to unlock 1Password each time, and as you've found, you can use Touch ID to do that. :)

— Grey

• George47
    George47
    Community Member

Thanks. It’s way easier on my iPhone. Fortunately I don’t use the iPad much for logins

• @George47

Auto-lock and Password AutoFill should work the same way on both the iPhone and iPad. Are you using 1Password 8 on both the iPad and iPhone or are you using a different older version on your iPhone?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• George47
    George47
    Community Member

Both my wife and I had the same situation on separate iPads. However I just noticed a new update on the iPad extension and the problem seems to be gone right now

• @George47

Let me know if you or your wife see the issue again in the future and I would be happy to help further. 🙂

-Dave

• George47
    George47
    Community Member

It’s necessary anytime I use 1Password to open an app.

• @George47

I'm sorry for misunderstanding, I read your last comment as saying that a recent update resolved the issue. As Grey mentioned, it's normal that you have to unlock 1Password every time that you use Password AutoFill to fill a login from inside of another app: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

But if you're using 1Password for Safari to fill a login into a website open in Safari then you won't have to unlock the extension every time that you use it: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Is it possible that you're sometimes using the Safari browser extension on your iPhone which doesn't require that you unlock it each time that you use it?

-Dave

• George47
    George47
    Community Member

You’re right. No need to unlock from the extension in Safari on my iPad. I’m just new to an iPad and its quirks compared to my iPhone. Not a problem at all. Love 1Password.! I’ve used four password managers over many years and this is the best! Thank you. Oh, and support has been superlative!

• Thank you for the kind words. As always, let us know if there's anything else that we can help with. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.