Filling on unaffiliated websites

With "classic" 1password extension, I was able to fill credentials from the menu at any site that was currently open (or go to the associated url and fill there). With the "new" browser extension, I can only "go to and fill", which lowered the usability considerably, because I have to have the domain/URL associated with the item in the vault.

Is there a way to allow filling credentials on any site from the 1Password extension?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @finwe, there's a feature called Universal Autofill in 1Password for Mac that can do that, but it isn't available in 1Password for Windows at this time. As far as the extension goes, it's true that logins can only be filled on associated websites. We do this to prevent phishing.

Could I ask why you would fill a login item on unassociated websites? It shouldn't be necessary to do that very often, as 1Password make it easy to create and save unique passwords for all websites. If you can tell me more about your goals, I can help with workarounds and suggestions.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Hi Joy_1P.

As a web developer, I can have test versions of apis and sites on random testing domains and it is comfortable to just use an existing item on a unrelated domain (which also doesn't make sense to save into the item, as it can be too broad (localhost) or just temporary).

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@finwe Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know about that. I've created a feature request to bring Universal Autofill to Windows (which would allow for you to fill a login on unaffiliated websites). I know that there are a lot of Windows users that would appreciate this feature. I hope that it will be considered in the future.

For now, you can use Quick Access to quickly locate your login and copy/paste it to your different websites. More about Quick Access: https://support.1password.com/quick-access/

I know that's not ideal, but I do hope it can help. Let us know if you have any further questions.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@finwe you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.