In a family account, how does a user log out so that another user can log in?

tenor10
tenor10
Community Member

In our family of 3, we have 3 computers and each user is signed onto their own computer. That's easy. Our problem is that we also have a family computer (Windows app). At the moment, I'm logged into the family computer. If another user/family member wants to log in, they might be asked for my password. How can they log me out so that they can log in? I see how to lock the account (ctrl-shift-L) but not how to log out. I'm a bit embarrassed to ask since the question sounds like it should have such an obvious answer.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.1 (81001033)
Extension Version: 2.60
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:how does a user log out?

Comments

• @tenor10

The likely and best way arguably to accomplish this would be to set the device up using different OS user accounts. That way when the user sits down they essentially have their entire device in front of them. email, browser settings, 1Password and the list continues. If that's not something you're interested in then the next idea would be separate browser profiles while using 1Password in the browser. It looks as if you are using the desktop application. If that's true I would suggest the different OS accounts option. That would allow each of you to use both the desktop application along with 1Password in the browser.

• tenor10
    tenor10
    Community Member

Thank you so much for your bandaid solution. I can see how creating a new OS account for each of us is an option and I know it isn't difficult to do. It is not a very user-friendly solution, though, because you are essentially asking your customer of your one product to use their computer in an entirely different way that affects their use of all other software on their computer. Surely there are many families with a family computer that shares a common OS account? For our family, this is the easier and preferred solution.

Is there really no way to log out of the 1Password desktop application? Or is there a way but it is simply quite cumbersome? If 1Password could create a keyboard shortcut to log off, families that have family computers will not encounter this problem in the future.

• 1Password (desktop) was originally designed to be an individual user application for this reason we generally recommend using the application on a per user basis. Currently, the user settings such as default vault and so on would need to be reconfigured on each sign out/in by each user. Else, the default vault would likely not be available. Assuming you had a specific vault set other than the Personal/Private. For this reason, separate browser profiles would likely be the best option for your use as each profile can be independent and have it's own settings.

Being someone who had a setup much like yours (his/hers/theirs) I cannot begin to recommend full OS user accounts enough. My/our life has been so much easier since we embraced separate OS user accounts. However, if you wish to try you can always use sign out of the account. Your mileage may vary. Please pay close attention as some settings may not carry over.

Sign out of 1Password

• tenor10
    tenor10
    Community Member

Thank you! I now understand why signing out each time might be a worse solution than having separate OS user accounts. On further thought, we do have separate browser profiles already. For this solution, should the two users who have an account different than the Windows app turn the setting off in their browser extension for "integrate with 1Password app"? Are there any drawbacks to this? (As you can see, I'm now weighing the pros and cons of using separate browser profiles (which we do already) with setting up separate OS user accounts. Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

• @tenor10

Yes, they would turn off that ability. I can hear my Latin teacher calling me slackissimus. Haha.

For example on my work device I use the following profiles.

1. Integration enabled - Biometrics and Apple Watch Unlock (Mac) available.
    2. beta testing our extension (integration off) - biometrics unavailable.
    3. Testing profile not linked to the desktop app (integration off) - biometrics unavailable.

The reason biometrics and Apple Watch are unavailable above is the desktop application talks to the OS directly, whereas the browser extension communicates to the desktop which does the heavy lifting, so to speak. If integration is off that communication exchange cannot happen you'll always need to supply the password.

This discussion has been closed.