Get rid of the search button on 1P8 for iOS

Options
portorikan
portorikan
Community Member

Can we PLEASE get rid of the search button on iOS and go back to the pull down to search? I think this alone might drive me back to 7. I miss it so much.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@portorikan

Check 8.10.0 you might be a happy camper. It should be making its way around the stores now.

You can now search a list of items by swiping down in the list and using the search field.

• portorikan
    portorikan
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated! Happier but sadly, it looks like the search only works when tapping the items tab and not from the home tab.

Honestly, there’s no reason for a search tab button to exist at all :/

Better but still a bummer. :/

• jth
    jth
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed and would be nice for the cursor to land in the search bar with keyboard up after the pull-down action.

• @portorikan

I'd love to pass on your feedback about Search in 1Password for iOS to the Product team here. Could you let me know why you'd like to see Search on the Home tab and why you'd want to get hide the Search tab? 8.10.0 did also bring some improvements to this tab with the most notable being recent searched items shown here.

• jac.pd_1p
    edited February 2023
    Options

@jth

I believe we're following the iOS convention, and how it was in 1Password 7 for iOS, where where pulling down to reveal a search bar won't automatically focus the cursor in the bar. Although I'll get this passed on to the Product team for you too since I do understand why this would be nice to have.

ref: PB-31009678

• portorikan
    portorikan
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, please share.

Basically if I open the app and what I need isn’t right away available, I need to search for it so I immediately pull down on the home tab to search but nothing happens. I have to now tap a Search tab to get to what I want.

I just downloaded 1P7 and there immediately from my favorites tab (which was visually much more appealing and useful), I can just search my entire vault if what I need isn’t in my favorites. While pull down to search doesn’t work there, the search bar is there, where I expect it to be.

And again, there’s not some giant unnecessary HOME sign taking up space and my passwords are visually easier for me to parse.

• jth
    jth
    Community Member
    Options

@jac.pd_1p agreed it follows iOS and 1P7 behaviors, just a pet peeve for me to require the extra tap :)

• Hi all,

There are differences between searching the Item List and the Search tab. Searching the item list is limited to whatever is displayed in the Item list, so it acts more like a filter. So if you are only looking at a tag, it will only search those items with that tag. Search in the tab will first search the chosen collection, and if nothing found, the rest of your signed in accounts.

Regards,
    Kevin

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

For people with many items, the search should be available on the home tab (the first tab that opens). Having it on the Items and Search tab is nice, but one tap too many. I've been sorely missing this 1P7 feature.
    So please:

• Search field on the home tab, no extra taps to search.
    • No pull down search, just always available at the top (or stuck to bottom)
    • If the designers worry about aesthetics, make it a user setting to activate this, so power users can be fast.

Another request: make tapping twice on the Search tab clear the search field.
    This would speed up usage of the search tab too.

Thanks @ag_tommy and @ag_kevin!

• @janpeeters

Let's continue the discussion in the other thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680193/#Comment_680193

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.