1Password8 For Mac Steals Focus

Options
jenglert
jenglert
Community Member

1Password consistently steals focus, requesting to unlock via finger print, a few minutes after unlocking computer. I read through some related threads and followed the workaround to quit 1Password, drag it to trash bin, restart, and reinstall. That seemed to help for a day (maybe) and then the focus stealing came back. Hoping to help solve this issues as it makes 1Password unbearable to use as it consistently interrupts my work.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• RonnieBarker
    RonnieBarker
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing what might be a similar problem - but without asking to unlock - every time I switch apps to the browser and go to type my mac beeps incessantly because 1Password has stolen the focus and I am not "suddenly" in an app that will accept any text input - but I should be in the browser - It's REALLY annoying and I agree that it is making having 1Password unbearable - it also seems to steal the focus while filling in a form where it is trying to make suggestions. This is only with the latest update - is it possible to roll-back to an older version that didn't have this?

• RonnieBarker
    RonnieBarker
    Community Member
    Options

I am disabling the 1Password chrome extension until this is fixed - so much of my day is in Chrome and I just can't get on with this like this

• Boosh
    Boosh
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I'm seeing this as well on an M1 Mac mini running Monterey. Clicking a new bookmark in Firefox brings 1Password to the foreground, covering my browser. Same behaviour happens when clicking a bookmark in Safari.

Disabling the 1Password extensions in Firefox and Safari fixes the issue.

Also, an additional observation: the 1Password browser menu is incredibly slow to open after clicking on the 1Password extension button in the toolbar. I've timed it and it can take 3-5 seconds--sometimes longer--to display the menu. And this is on a M1 Mini. Why is it so slow?

• lfanchi
    lfanchi
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, Safari steals focus right after unlocking my laptop.

• SuperDaveYYC
    SuperDaveYYC
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue with Chrome (106.0.5249.119). The 1Password Chrome Extension is version 2.3.8. And 1Password is version 8.9.4. Then it started stealing focus from other applications. Please help!

• jenglert
    jenglert
    Community Member
    Options

This is still occurring with the recent 8.9.8 release. Anyone here from 1Password able to confirm if dev team is aware of the problem? What can I do to provide you with debugging info to help get this issue fixed?

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same issue in Chrome and Safari. I deleted 1Password and the Safari extension app, and deleted every 1Password folder/file I could find (in Library/Preferences;Application Support;Containers;Group Containers) and reinstalled.

So far (after a few days) that has fixed it for me - 1Password is back to normal.

• jenglert
    jenglert
    Community Member
    Options

I'm wondering if my focus issues are related to using the new SSH Agent feature. I'm seeing the below logs when the focus stealing occurs. 1Password is requesting a general unlock; rather than a specific SSH key authorization though.

INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.130 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(147)) [1P:foundation/op-apple/src/biometry_service.rs:286] System biometry info: BiometricStatus { current_policy: BiometricsOnly, current_method: TouchId, current_availability: Available } INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.173 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.173 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(9)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.173 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.173 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(9)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.387 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(9)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.387 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(9)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.387 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.387 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.399 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(6)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.399 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(6)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session INFO 2022-11-04T11:46:47.399 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:ssh/op-agent-controller/src/desktop.rs:37] failed to unlock app WARN 2022-11-04T11:46:47.399 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:459] failed to get private key from session ERROR 2022-11-04T11:47:19.134 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(147)) [1P:foundation/op-system-auth/src/apple.rs:146] Biometric unlock failed, system response: AppCancel ERROR 2022-11-04T11:47:19.143 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:op-automated-unlock/src/lib.rs:295] Failed to authorize using system biometry: FailedToUnlockWithKeys(FailedSystemAuthenticationChallenge)

• @jenglert, @RonnieBarker, @Boosh, @lfanchi, @SuperDaveYYC

I'm sorry that you're running into focus issues when using 1Password 8 for Mac. There are indeed a few different focus issues that our developers are currently looking into. So that we can investigate further, and get to a potential fix for the issues faster, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Macs:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• lfanchi
    lfanchi
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Done! The Support ID number is: [#EHN-87187-939]

• jenglert
    jenglert
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks so much for responding. It's gonna be difficult to attach a 20GB *.1pdiagnostics file to an email. Thoughts on how to reduce the file size or alternatives?

• @lfanchi

Thank you for the Support ID. I've located your ticket and one of my colleagues will reply as soon as possible. 🙂

ref: EHN-87187-939

@jenglert

I'm sorry that the diagnostics report is so large. I see that you sent in an email earlier and I've replied to you there. Let's continue the conversation over email.

ref: JQW-64128-667

-Dave

• SuperDaveYYC
    SuperDaveYYC
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I've sent my diagnostics as well. Support ID is [#IPX-25268-916]

• @SuperDaveYYC

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I've located your ticket and one of my colleagues will reply as soon as possible. 🙂

ref: IPX-25268-916

• sShiloh7
    sShiloh7
    Community Member
    Options

Just a comment. Probably not helpful, but I noticed Chrome mentioned a few times. It gave me problems when it invaded my iMac, so I dumped it. I've never had a problem with focus stealing, or some other issues, since.

• Thanks for the input, @sShiloh7!

It's certainly possible that an issue is browser-specific and oftentimes trying to reproduce things on another browser is a good step to determining that. We'll keep it in mind for this one and make recommendations as we learn more.

Appreciate you sharing your experience here. 😊

• hughmcgauran
    hughmcgauran
    Community Member
    Options

same rubbish here. 1password constantly stealing focus on my mac.. asked to install it and use it yesterday. seriously considering removing it permanently. This should not be a support issue. this is a usability issue.

• hiphi
    hiphi
    Community Member
    Options

I've run into the same problem as well now. I'm using Brave, which is a chromium browser, so almost the same thing but it's worth mentioning. Has there been any progress on this or a recommended course of action?

Sucks to not have the browser extension to use with 1Pass, since thats where most of the action is for me, but its much worse dealing with the focus interruption. Either choice is less than ideal.

Thanks!

• truhlen
    truhlen
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a very similar issue, except it happens primarily in relationship to Safari and Firefox. Chrome seems not to be affected. I am using 8.10.1. I went through the steps @Dave_1P suggested to send in a diagnostics report to support+forum@1password.com, but I have not received an automated reply with a Support ID # after a couple hours. This issue is very problematic because I need to use all three browsers for my work.

• truhlen
    truhlen
    Community Member
    Options

In case anyone is here looking for a solution for this issue on version 8.10.1, the following steps from support worked for me:

1. Open the 1Password desktop app.
    2. Click "1Password" on the macOS menu bar and select "Settings".
    3. Under General, ensure "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is checked.
    4. Under Browser, toggle off then toggle back on the "Connect with 1Password in the browser" setting. (For me this toggle was checked and greyed out so I couldn't deselect it. Instead I clicked on the "Get 1Password for your Browser" button, which took me to the app store to update my 1Password for Safari app. I had to click on "Update" twice for it to stick. Then I went on to #5)
    5. Click the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar and select "Quit", then re-open the 1Password desktop app.

No 1P stealing focus since doing these steps.

• Thanks for sharing @truhlen Here's to hoping those steps will help others.

This discussion has been closed.