Lastpass Immigrant Confused By 1Password Variants - Which One Should I Be Using?

Options
Fgn
Fgn
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I recently migrated from Lastpass and would've stayed if not for the hacks. I used Lastpass Chrome extension almost exclusively (in fact, I don't recall the last time I used the desktop application). With 1Password, I'm confused about the 1Password desktop application (v8), 1Password browser, and the 1Password Chrome extension. Why are there three choices and which one should I be using?

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• 1Password in the browser is the chrome extension. You might see the term used interchangeably at times. Most folks who are interested in things like biometric unlock use the desktop app as it facilities the features use when using 1Password in the browser.

• Fgn
    Fgn
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I see my.1password.com which opens my vault in a Chrome browser tab and there's a separate 1Password Chrome extension that is more a popup window, and then there's the desktop application. So again, I'm seeing three different interfaces.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

1Password desktop is just that a desktop version allowing local access. It communicates with 1Password in the browser (Chrome extension) which allows you to fill the desired information within your browser. The two are companion apps. But they can also function independently for those that need it.

You also have the use of 1Password.com. Depending on your needs you may or may not needs to access 1Password.com regularly. I have gone months without needing to access 1Password.com. However, I am a a desktop + browser user. At present about the only need I have for 1Password.com is the need for admin related activities.

If you do not have the desktop application installed 1Password in the browser will open 1Password.com to allow you to edit and save your items.

This discussion has been closed.