[Feature Request] Make it so when linking A to B, B is also linked to A.

Options
sameer_
sameer_
Community Member

If I look up item B, I currently can't see that it's attached to item A. It would be helpful to not have to manually do it multiple times. Sometimes there are 2+ items that I want linked together. For example, I might upload a new product's receipt along with its warranty information. Or I might link a bank account with the bank's online credentials. It would be nice to be able to choose linking both ways by default or to get prompted to make it this way when I first create a linkage between two items. Is there a security reason or something preventing this idea that I'm not seeing?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.10 (80910001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.0
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:Link to another item by default

Comments

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

Good idea. I would use such a feature.

As an aside, I never thought of putting receipts or warranties into 1P. Do you store them as "document" items and link them to one another? Is 1P really appropriate to be a filing cabinet for everything? I'm not sure where to draw the line.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @sameer_ and @clarino! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the great suggestion! While I can't make any promises, I have added your feature request for bi-directional linking of items to our internal tracker so our product team can consider it as they are looking into new features to add to future versions of 1Password for Mac.

I personally store some important warranty information in 1Password. I add the warranty information as a Document item and tag the item with warranty. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-2130

• sameer_
    sameer_
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@clarino Sorry I lost track of this. I do store them as documents, especially with 1P's nifty document scanner ability to easily do so on the go. You bring up a good point about being careful not to use it for too much. For me I won't store every receipt but will for more expensive items. Anything that is important and just makes sense like my lease and my renter's insurance, my car insurance ID card and associated online account credentials, etc.

@Dave_1P If I may add-on to the original feature request, I've noticed when newly creating items you don't have the ability to link to other existing items at the same time. It would be great if we didn't have to save the new item and re-open it in edit mode again just to be able to have the "Link to a related item" option made available to us.

• @sameer_

Thank you for the additional suggestion, I've passed it along to the team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#8510

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

@sameer_ 1P's document scanner is actually built in to iOS so you'll find the same functionality in the Notes app. But I'm still wondering why warrantees or receipts are worthy of the protection that 1P offers (and slightly extra effort).

On the other hand, I've been keeping photos of my drivers license, passport, insurance cards, etc. in the Photos app and now you have me thinking those are worth moving to 1P to protect against the phone being grabbed after shoulder surfing my passcode. But using 1P for those types of documents means that every time I hand my phone to, say, a doctor's receptionist, I'll have to enable/disable Guided Access (to lock the phone to the current screen) several times since they typically ask for medical insurance card and a photo ID at the same time. With Guided Access, I can only give them one at a time. Without Guided Access, I'm exposing my entire 1P collection to them.

• sameer_
    sameer_
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P thank you!

@clarino That's a good point, and wow, I had never heard of Guided Access before, but after quickly Googling it, that looks like it could work well albeit would take some setup and muscle memory to remember how to use it on the spot.

After thinking it through, I think it comes down to a few things: 1. I usually only do this with particularly expensive electronic/appliance purchases, not with most receipts. 2. I don't have a good system for saving all my receipts, so I wouldn't trust my ability to find them in my personal/work/work2 iCloud/Google Drive/OneDrive mess. 3. There's something about setting up new electronics and new online accounts that makes it easier to store all the related documents in one place with 1password. My organization in 1password is much better than any other directory of cloud storage I have. I'd feel much safer if I stored my driver's license, passport, and insurance cards in 1password, rather than getting lost in the sea of Photos. But, again, that's just me thinking with respect to point #2.

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

@sameer_ All I keep on my phone are a few dozen photos split among a bunch of folders (shared with family) named Car, Med, and Travel (the last currently only has my passport).

Long ago, I realized I don't need to carry my thousands of photos with me thus avoiding the "sea of photos" phenomenon you mention. If I take any other kinds of photos during the day, I'll unload them to my computer at the earliest opportunity and remove them from my phone. I'm still uncertain why expensive receipts might need 1P protection but I'm going to think about that more.

Yes, Guided Access took a while to get used to and it's still a bit frustrating because the way Guided Access works is not (yet) ideal. For example, you want to go into Options and disable Touch or else people can swipe to get to other items in 1Password; However, disabling Touch means they cannot use reverse-pinch to zoom in. And my phone is a Mini so they always try to zoom in.

• Good conversation here, let me know if you have any other suggestions or questions and I'll jump back in. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.