1password extension not working - enabled in extensions but no icon on menu - 1pw 2.8.1, safari 15.6

sorcerer2020
sorcerer2020
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

extension in safari disappeared....reinstalled and enabled it. restarted browser but 1pw extension does not show in menu bar

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: 10.15.7
Browser:_ safari 15.6.1
Referrer: forum-search:safari

Comments

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member

I've got the same problem. Sometimes, when I click on the Safari toolbar icon, the 1P icon disappears. The only way to bring it back is by disabled and re-enabling the extension.

It works fine for a while until it happens again.

• @sorcerer2020

Can you clarify if you are talking about the browser toolbar or the menu bar at the top of the screen? The menu bar portion is from 1Password 8 (desktop app) and the toolbar portion is from 1Password in the browser.

I'm going to hazard a guess you're talking about the toolbar, but ready to be wrong on that. Assuming for a moment you are talking about the browser toolbar can you try the following.

If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar

Open 1Password for Mac.
    Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension from the menu bar.

• @grovolis21

Can you try those same steps I asked of sorcerer2020?

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Hey, thanks for your reply. It's not a missing icon issue. It's the extension crashing. Please follow the link below and watch the video that replicates the problem. The issue arises when in the 1P icon there is a small purple dot indicator.

https://app.screencast.com/lrMTQ5HS5z7Z6

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member

PS. What I've tried to do in the video the first time the icon disappeared was to find it in the customise toolbar menu, as per your suggestion. There was no 1P icon there, so I disabled the extension and re-enabled it, which indeed brought the icon back. After I've clicked on it again, it disappeared once more.

• @grovolis21

Oh, that's odd for sure and not good! I can't say I've seen it. Let's get you and that video over to my colleagues in email support. support+forum@1password.com For clarification have you tried fully quitting your browser and opening it again? Also, you might want to remove and reinstall 1Password for Safari, as a test of course. You can even included the results of that reinstall in your email submission.

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I have tried quitting the browser, the problem eventually comes back. However, it's something to do with that purple dot indicator, are you aware of this indicator? Like what it means? Is it a feature? It only appears on certain websites.

I will certainly try uninstalling / re-installing and it that doesn't fix the issue I will email the dev team!

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Not fixed after re-installing, will contact email support.

Case ID: [#UXH-71446-486]

• Hey @grovolis21,

Thank you for getting back to us with this information, I believe you are running into a new issue we have ran into.

I'm sorry for the disruption, I have added you to the list of affected users and our team will get back to you via email shortly with either a fix or a workaround for the meantime.

ref: dev/core/core#20624

• sorcerer2020
    sorcerer2020
    Community Member

For my post, I have implemented everything suggested by support. The problem could have been as stated by others, the
    "extension crashing" the 1PW icon was not showing in the Safari browser. After everything was done it still had the issue until I restarted the laptop and now it has fixed itself. I believe this occurred during an update to 2.8.1 but can't be certain.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@sorcerer2020 thanks for the update. It is good to hear that things are working well now.

This discussion has been closed.