1password on Chromebook PIN Unlock

MacGyver33
MacGyver33
Community Member

Just got a Lenovo Chromebook and after setting up 1password on it, I noticed there is no option to unlock my vault with a PIN. I have to enter my master password any time it locks. The lock timeout can be extended but only by a few hours. I setup a PIN unlock on the Chromebook login but still no option in 1password to unlock using the Chromebook PIN. Having to constantly re-enter a master password on a trusted device is a major pain with long complex passwords which we should be using. 1password on my other Windows and Android devices all have the ability to unlock with the device security settings (PIN or biometrics) but why not the Chromebook.

For context, I have the 1password app installed on the Chromebook from the Play Store so I assume it is the Android version. The Chrome OS browser extension is listed as not compatible yet the 1password site directs Chromebook users to this extension page rather than the Play Store app which appears to be the only option. Other password managers such as LastPass have had PIN unlock baked in to all their apps for years. Is there something I am missing and if not, is this at least on the roadmap or in some beta version of the app compatible with Chrome OS that I can install? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chrome OS
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @macgyver, thanks for writing in!

1Password for Android does not include a PIN unlock option but it's a feature we're interested in adding in the future. The fingerprint scanner on Chromebooks typically only facilitates unlocking or signing into the device, not unlocking apps. If your Chromebook includes a fingerprint scanner this is likely why the option is not available with 1Password.

One option to enter your account password less frequently is to extend the Auto-Lock on Exit interval from Settings > Security.

The Chrome OS browser extension is listed as not compatible

While 1Password for Android is available on some Chromebooks, we recommend the 1Password extension for filling in the browser on ChromeOS devices. Could you let me know which version of ChromeOS and Chrome are running on your device?

This discussion has been closed.