Keyboard shortcut Autofill no longer works in Firefox or Chrome

Options
MStyle
MStyle
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Windows

I have been using 1Password for many years now. One of the most convenient things about it in Windows has been the keyboard shortcut autofill. Just press Ctrl + \ and I’m logged in – I don’t even need to press Enter after the username and password have been autofilled.

A few months ago the keyboard shortcut autofill stopped working in Chrome. And now in Firefox, my primary browser, it isn’t working either. Now, every time I want to log in, I have to move the mouse to the login field, click in there (at which point the fields are autofilled) and then press Enter or click the Login button. Which is much less convenient than just hitting the autofill shortcut keys.

Since the Autofill option is still present in Settings I am assuming that it’s a bug. I tried changing the shortcut from Ctrl + \ to something else such as Ctrl + Shift + ] or Ctrl + Alt + / but it didn’t work.

I also tried disabling all other add-ons (extensions) except 1Password, restarted the browser, and tried the autofill shortcut - still not working.

To me, this is a major quality of use issue.

What else can I try? Can you replicate this issue on your end, and if so, any ETA on fixing it?

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.5.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Browser:_ Firefox 107.0.1 64-bit Chrome 108.0.5359.96 64-bit

Comments

• Hello @MStyle,

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've encountered. We appreciate you sending along this report. This is a known issue with Chrome, Brave and I've been able to reproduce with Firefox. I have no additional details to share at this time, but have passed your report along to the Development team.

ref: dev/core/core#18569

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    Options

Experiencing this same issue in Firefox (desktop) 108.0.2 on macOS 13.1.

• Hello @jareha - I've passed you report along to the Development team as well. Thanks for letting us know!

• jloretto70
    jloretto70
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this exact issue. I created a new post here but wanted to comment on this thread that autofill with ctrl+\ does not work in Firefox 108.0.2 on Linux either with plugin 2.5.1. After pressing ctrl+\ you must then focus on one of the login fields with the mouse before the autofill populates the data. Used to work until a few weeks ago. I've confirmed settings are the same as pictured above.

• Hello @jloretto70,

Thanks for your message and reporting these details. I've shared this (along with the details in that other thread) with the Development team in the issue we're currently tracking.

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add this. Whenever I log in to sites that require a one-time password generated in 1Password's "one time password" fields I would just press Ctrl + \ and it would populate. That no longer works. Sometimes it populates automatically when you click inside the field. But when it doesn't, which happens sometimes, you can press Ctrl + \ and then press the Tab key. That seems to force it to populate every time. It would be great if it worked autonomously every time but for now this seems to be a valid workaround.

• Hi @MStyle,

Thanks for your report. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with Ctrl + \ to fill fields such as OTPs. This is a known issue that the team has been working towards a fix on Windows. Please keep an out for the latest updates here on our 1Password Releases page.

In the meantime, the usual workflow should work when filling passwords in your browser, including OTPs.

We appreciate your patience.

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Good news - as of today it looks like Ctrl + \ is (somewhat) working in Chrome 111.0.5563.65 with 1Password Chrome extension 2.8.1.

I tested 10 different websites in Chrome and all 10 populated the username and password fields correctly upon pressing Ctrl + \

At 9 out of the 10 websites I had to press Enter after pressing Ctrl + \ to complete the login process. Only at one website (costco.com) the login occurred after just pressing Ctrl + \ without pressing or clicking anything else (as it should be). So right now it's not working quite as well as it did before the problem started but it's definitely better than not working at all.

Now looking forward to this issue being fixed in Firefox.

• somegirl
    somegirl
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Huh, interesting, I have the same versions of Chrome/1P extension, tested six sites, and no improvement for me. Still does nothing. Deeply unimpressed at a basic function being non-functional for so long. One of these days I'm gonna have to stop being lazy and look at the other password managers again.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member
    Options

As a longtime 1Password user, I’m with you. Death by a thousand cuts, across all platforms. Let us know what you find about switching!

• Hi folks,

Thanks for letting us know @MStyle!

Sorry for any continued troubles @jareha. I am seeing improvements here with Chrome and a recent update to Firefox is also available, Install a beta release of the 1Password browser extension.

@somegirl - could try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest beta from the above link? If you are still seeing troubles I'd like to ask you to send some logs to our team:

Attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680594/#Comment_680594
    • Your forum username: somegirl

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member
    Options

Checked today and Ctrl + \ is mostly working in Firefox 111.0 with 1Password add-on 2.8.1. Ctrl + \ autofill is working in username, password and OTP fields on all websites I've tested.

However, the same issue I mentioned for Chrome in my previous post is also present in Firefox: after Ctrl + \ you still have to press Enter or click the Login button to complete the login process. The only exception I've found so far is costco.com where the login happens after just pressing Ctrl + \

• Hello @MStyle,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm happy to hear things are working better for you.

This is expected behavior as there is no auto-submit feature built into 1Password Windows. In 1Password for Mac, this feature is tied to Universal Auto-fill. I have no further news to share, but the team is continuing to investigate and look into implementing this on Windows. I've passed your feedback along.

ref: 31784761

With regard to your comments about Costco.com, I've looked into this with a colleague and seems that they have an auto-submit feature built-in to their web form, which is why this seems to work there, but not on other pages.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

ref: dev/core/core#15128

This discussion has been closed.