Touch ID and Apple Watch are grey'ed out in 1Password settings

Options
AMCarter3
AMCarter3
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

Touch ID and Apple Watch are no longer working to access 1Password -- both are checked but are grey'd out in my 1Password settings. Both are working to open my computer and applications on my computer. The 2 actions I've done so far to resolve this is to: 1) restart my computer; and 2) delete my 1Password app (and related files), reinstall it and restart. That all worked fine but did not resolve this issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:Touch ID and Apple Watch are grey'ed out in 1Password settings

Comments

• Hello @AMCarter3! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm sorry that both Touch ID and Apple Watch unlock aren't working for 1Password on your Mac. Let's focus on Touch ID and then I can help you with Apple Watch unlock as well once the first issue is resolved. Can you please try the following steps in order:

1. Completely turn off your Mac and then turn it on to restart it. (Don't skip this step.)
    2. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    3. Choose Apple menu ๏ฃฟ > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password.
    4. Turn off all of the features, then turn all of them back on again.
    5. Go back to 1Password and choose 1Password > Settings from the menu bar.
    6. Click the Security icon, then turn on "Touch ID".
    7. Lock 1Password by choosing 1Password > Lock from the menu bar.
    8. Now try unlocking 1Password using Touch ID.

Let me know that result. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave! I think I found the source of this issue. Touch ID has not been working hardly at all for unlocking my computer for the couple of weeks. Same for opening anything with my Apple Watch. So, I finally called Apple Tech support. The person had me re-build my finger prints in Touch ID. After a couple of tries, it started working again. When I got your message, I did a full shut-down and restarted as you suggested and... voila! My 1Password Touch ID setting and Apple Watch setting are both working again. I tested both multiple times and did not have to do anything further with 1P settings.

• I'm happy to hear that everything is working again. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

My TouchID and Apple Watch settings in 1Password are grey'd out again. I followed your instructions carefully and they are still grey'd out. What's next?

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

I fixed it by deleting the 1Password item in my Keychain file: "com.1password.core-biometric-unlock".

FYI... I've read many prior support requests here for this particular issue and have not seen anyone suggest this specific remedy. I did see a suggestion to delete the ENTIRE Keychain data file. That seemed excessive to me. I just deleted the 1Password biometric-unlock file in Keychain and Voila! TouchID and my Watch are working again to unlock 1P.

• @AMCarter3

Thank you for sharing, let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• AMCarter3
    AMCarter3
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

Suggestion... If this issue is fairly common among 1P users (it is for me), I suggest you add it to your list of common issues so people can see how to deal with it faster and easier... I seem to encounter routine issues these days with TouchID on one of more of my 3 M1 Macbook Airs. I don't get what's going on, but it's an issue the keeps occurring.

• @AMCarter3

That definitely doesn't sound right, you shouldn't be running into constant issues with Touch ID. The next time that the issue occurs please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can investigate further. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• KeithB
    KeithB
    Community Member
    Options

I canโ€™t get Touch ID to work at all. It stays greyed out.

• Hey @KeithB ๐Ÿ‘‹

Are you able to unlock your Mac using Touch ID? If you're able to, I'd suggest resetting the 1Password 8 for Mac app to see if it helps resolve the issue. Please be sure that all your data is available at my.1Password.com (in a web browser) before you reset the app.

-Alvin

This discussion has been closed.