Error: "Unable to save item." when saving a new password in the browser

billcorn
billcorn
Community Member

Whenever I try to save a new password in 1Password I get "Unable to save item" with no explanation of why! Attached are 2 samples.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:unable to save item

Comments

• snovvman
    snovvman
    Community Member

Using Chrome browser beta extension 2.6.1 and FireFox extension 2.5.1, I am experiencing the same issues: 1) When trying to save a login from a site, I receive an error "unable to save item", and 2) the extension is not updating recent changes. That is, when I make an update on the desktop app, it shows up on the browser (1password.com) but not the extension.

The only way I can get the extension to work is to logout of the extension and re-log in. Then I am able to save new items and see the updates. The next day, it stops working again.

I have tried clearing cache, reinstalling the extension, but nothing is working. I do not have desktop integration enabled. I've also tried logging into the web interface while trying to add or update a password with the extension, still no joy.

Any ideas? Thanks.

OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hi @snovvman,

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering issues when trying to save items. In order to get some further details and take a closer look, can you re-create the behaviour you're experiencing and send us console log from each browser?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Joseph2W
    Joseph2W
    Community Member

I am having the same issue on Windows / Edge, Linux / Firefox, and Android chrome. Just started today. The 1Password app in Linux is able to save new info but all the browsers can't save and can't fill.

• snovvman
    snovvman
    Community Member

Thank you, @david.m_1P. Before I get the logs, here are some observations:

I think the problem is from the extension disconnecting (or logging itself out) from the 1P server after a certain period of time. In the extension settings, I have "Automatically lock 1P" turned off so the vault does not lock. After a period of time (or maybe after the computer goes to sleep), although the extension still shows me the content of the vault, it appears to be showing a cached/local version. I know this because when I make an update using the desktop or web interface, it is not updated in the extension. The extension also does not let me update entries (unable to save...).

I have to manually log out of the extension, re-login, then everything works again, but only for awhile.

Any thoughts on this?

• snovvman
    snovvman
    Community Member

Additional discussion--

Does the 1P extension depend on the web session to function? By default, the web vault locks in 10 minutes. If the extension depends on web vault to be unlocked, then one has to keep unlocking the web vault in order for the extension to function properly?

The longest timeout for the web vault is 300 minutes, which means one would have to unlock the vault every five hours.

I think this may be the cause of my problem. Unfortunately, the extension does not indicate when the web vault is locked. Is there a way to increase the web vault auto lock to beyond 300 minutes?

Thanks.

• snovvman
    snovvman
    Community Member

@Joseph2W do you have 2FA enabled? I got a support email advising that there is a known issue with 2FA. If you do have 2FA enabled, try disabling it and see if the problem goes away. I am testing this myself too.

• Hey @snovman,

It sounds like you are getting help from our support team in regards to the 'Unable to save' issue. (Please correct me if I'm wrong and we can continue to troubleshoot).

As for the auto lock settings, the one you are referring to that you have set to 300 minutes only controls 1Password.com. Your extension shares the same auto lock settings as your 1Password desktop app. Here is how you can amend these: https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/#manage-auto-lock-in-the-1password-apps.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions!

• Joseph2W
    Joseph2W
    Community Member

Hi @snovvman
    You were right about the 2FA. I had just enabled it and found thar for each of the devices I had problems with, I quit the 1password app and logged in again, providing my 2FA credentials. Error message could be better - something like "please log in again" rather than "Unable to save"

• I'm sorry for the trouble @Joseph2W, the issue stems from the extension having a hard time syncing to our server and saving your logins. I'm glad you were able to get things working.

Apologies again!

• dragoncat
    dragoncat
    Community Member

How do I get support for the same issue! Very frustrating....

• Hey @dragoncat,

Are you referring to the 'Unable to save' issue?

If so, can you give these steps a try:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    3. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    4. Under Accounts & Vaults, click the ( ⋮ ) three dots to sign out of your account. (This won't be available if "Integrate with 1Password app" is still enabled)
    5. Click "+ Sign in to a new account" to sign back in.

Let us know how you get on!

• dragoncat
    dragoncat
    Community Member

Hi Steph,

Thank you! That worked. Is this a bug or a feature? I don't understand why this would present as a problem in the first place so I'd appreciate any insight you can provide.

• Hey @dragoncat,

I'm glad things are back on track. This is indeed a bug that we are currently investigating, I'm sorry for the disruption!

• mkombat580
    mkombat580
    Community Member

Facing the same issue. Unable to save error, cant apply suggested passwords, cant edit/delete passwords and sync is not working via the extensions. Only seems to affect Edge/Chrome browser as Safari on Mac is fine. Already created a ticket and waiting for the next steps. I thought I was alone, but after seeing issues here, not sure what support can do till this bug is fixed.

• Hey @mkombat580,

I'm sorry you are running into this issue, can you share the Support ID so I can take a look?

Thank you!

• mkombat580
    mkombat580
    Community Member

Here you go. TMP-95969-794. They responded saying that this is a known issue and are actively looking at fixing it at the earliest. Hoping that all the above issues I have mentioned are being looked at. Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mkombat580, just want to follow up here, as no one has replied to your message. I took a look at your ticket, and I do see that the workarounds we shared did not help. I'm very sorry about that. The issue is indeed something that our developers are actively investigating, and we are hopeful for a fix in the future.

I did see that one of my colleagues suggested for you to turn off 2fa for your account, if you are open to it. I understand why that would not be desirable or ideal. However, I do want to bring up this option again, as turning off 2fa for your account could resolve the issue and provide some much needed relief. I do think it's worth a try, and if you want to re-enable 2fa, you can do so again afterwards.

I appreciate your patience. Let us know if you have any further questions.

• mkombat580
    mkombat580
    Community Member

I turned off 2FA temporarily to test and everything works just fine. So, it is the 2FA at fault here. Having said this, I am not comfortable turning off 2FA for longer time. I really hope your Engineers can release a fix at the earliest. Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@mkombat580 thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad that you tried it and confirmed the cause of the trouble. That said, I completely understand why you turned back on 2fa. I do hope that there will be a fix to this issue sooner rather than later.

Thank you for your patience!

• Hey @billcorn,

It sounds like you are running into an issue with the extension syncing to our server and saving your information. We have had reports related to this recently and have created an internal report to track the issue. I've added your ticket to that report.

In the meantime, could you try the following to see if it helps?

• Lock the 1Password app (which also locks the extension).
    • Unlock the 1Password app (which also unlocks the extension).

If the issue is still present, then please go through the steps below to fully re-sync your account:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Go back to General, and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    • If you don't have the 1Password app installed, you can skip step 5 and leave app integration disabled.

Let us know how you get on, I'm sorry for the disruption!

ref: dev/core/core#17386

• KenEsq
    KenEsq
    Community Member

I've been having the same problem with multiple Chromebooks. I've tried what you suggested and still get the Unable to Save issue. It's really a problem because it mostly occurs when trying to setup a new site.

• elechliter
    elechliter
    Community Member

We have the same problem (in Chrome on PC) which I think is the cached password databases not synching between the PC and the 1password site because the PC is logged in to the app/browser addon, but not to the central site. Often if I add a new password on the website, it won't show on my pc - whether browser addon or the PC app. I've had passwords that I create and only appear on my PC, not on the website until I forcibly log out and try to resynch.

I followed your "full re-sync" procedure above and it updated my computer from the 1password site's database.

• Hey @KenEsq, @elechliter

I'm sorry for the trouble, our team are aware of the disruption this is causing and are working hard on a fix.

They may be able to further assist you in getting things working in the meantime if you send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so we can see if there is anything else that may be interfering:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Isthisall
    Isthisall
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Had 1password a couple weeks and it was working pretty well. All of the sudden, it will no longer save sites or or passwords, I just get an "unable to save" error. Defeats the purpose of a password manager if it won't manage!

OS Version: Win10
    Browser:_ Chrome

• dwestenk
    dwestenk
    Community Member

Same issue here with the Edge extension, despite using the procedure indicate by steph.giles. In addition, I have been unable to generate a diagnostics report, because rather than being able to save any file, I am taken to this site https://support.1password.com/contact/?s=Get+help+with+1Password&b=x

• Hello @isthisall,

Thanks for your message and sorry to hear that you are getting an unable to save error message. We're happy to help look into this further.

Could let us know if message is appearing in the 1Password 8 for Windows app or in 1Password in the browser?

Looking forward to your reply.

• Isthisall
    Isthisall
    Community Member

It's appearing in Google Chrome and shows as a 1Password pop up when entering a new site.

• Hello again @Isthisall,

Thanks for your reply and confirmation of these troubles with 1Password in Chrome. Based on the description, it sounds like you might be running into a known issue that our development team are currently investigating and I've added your details to that issue. This may be caused by some syncing troubles from the browser extension's authentication with our server. I apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this issue.

In the meantime, could you try the following to see if it helps?

1. Lock the 1Password app (which also locks the extension).
    2. Unlock the 1Password app (which also unlocks the extension).

If the issue is still present, please go through the steps below to fully re-sync your account:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account (Please ensure you have access to your 1Password account via one of the 1Password apps, or 1Password.com before signing out).
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Go back to General, and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    • If you don't have the 1Password app installed, you can skip step 5 and leave app integration disabled.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

ref: dev/core/core#17386

• Hey @dwestenk,

I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you let me know which step when generating the diagnostics report is taking you to that page?

What happens when you open your 1Password app and choose Settings > Advanced > Send Diagnostics?

That being said a console log should provide us with the details needed to see if it is indeed this issue you are running into or another issue we can further investigate so please feel free to send an email with this attached.

Thanks!

• jgerry
    jgerry
    Community Member

So I was having this issue, and I may have found a solution that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I logged into 1Password normally this morning after starting up my computer. Then I logged into my VPN. Started getting the "unable to save item" message. Disconnected from my VPN, then it started working again. Is this possibly just 1Password being extra-safe here and not allowing you to save if your IP changes?

This discussion has been closed.