"You’ve used a newer version of 1Password on this device"

I came back to my Mac today and launched 1Password.
I immediately got the following warning:

I had not changed from nightly to another channel, I sure had not reinstalled 1Password. It seemed that it happened after the app auto-updated itself.
1Passwrd was in version 8.10.3. I tried deleting the app and using the installer to reinstall: and indeed it installed an apparently different version of 1Password (8.10.3-1.BETA), but still, the problem remains and I get the same warning at every launch.

I can use the same approach described here to get back on my feet, but I thought I had to report this since I clearly don’t understand how it happened in the first place!

Corentin

1Password Version: 8.10.3-1.BETA
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: 12.6.3
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

@cortig

Sorry for the trouble. I've not seen any tother reports like yours but I'll keep a look out. Correction one other. The post you mentioned from Ben would be the correct approach.

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member

I just ran into this as well. I switched to the beta channel a couple of months ago to get a bug fix, then switched my setting back to stable a few weeks ago, expecting that I'd still be getting betas for a while until the relevant stable version came out. I've received a few beta updates since then.

This morning, I had the notice in 1P that it wanted to restart after an update, so I did that. Upon restart, it was on a newer beta version and had another restart message. I hit the button again, and this time, I got the message above about having used a newer version. So 1P must have switched to a stable version that's behind the beta version. Again, this is all driven by the built-in update mechanism; I did no manual updates/installs using versions off the web site.

I think the version I started on today was 8.10.1 beta per the about box, and Finder now shows I'm on version 8.10.3 after the two restarts.

I'll go through the process to nuke things and get operational again, but as a suggestion, it'd be great to have a built-in way to handle this. Two ideas:

1. Isn't simply switching to the latest beta always a way back to a working app? If so, consider adding a button to the dialog to do just that, without making the user do the job of finding, downloading, and installing the beta.

2. Add functionality to check for a keyboard modifier (e.g., probably shift or option) during startup and offer to reset the database. Basically, an automation of the manual procedure. You could add another button to the dialog as an alternate route to the feature in case people forget it's there. Note that this feature is useful to any user beyond this situation.

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Oh, boy. I just found this problem. Oh boy, the dangers of beta waters. Now, I'm freaking out. I'm unsure of what the correct "approach" it is to fix it now. Can someone lend a hand? @cortig ?

(There is a bit of irony here! 1Password provided me the correct password to login to this forum!)

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member

@BobW I like your ideas, btw.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@BobW I thought about your option 1), which is why I attempted to reinstall the latest beta through the installer, but in my case it didn’t work.
    I still don’t understand how I ended up in that situation on that Mac.
    If the installer installs the latest beta instead of the latest nightly, is there a way to manually install the latest nightly?

Corentin

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member

@cortig LOVE your avatar! I meant to mention @BobW for assistance on what option I should do, not the other way around. I'm sorry, I'm getting you all confused! So, what is my best route right now?

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

@cortig Good point on betas v. nightlies. I don't see a reason why the button couldn't compare the installed version with the latest beta and nightly versions to automatically determine the right version to download.

@UXJedi I got back in operation by removing the directory at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password.

To do it, first quit 1P. Then, open a new Finder window, hit cmd-shift-G (or select the "Go to Folder…" command from the "Go" menu), and paste this into the dialog that pops up:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support

Hit return, and you should be taken to that path. There, you should see a folder called 1Password. Drag the 1Password folder to the trash. Finally, fire up 1P and you should be prompted to sign back into your accounts. In my case, I also had to reset all my preferences -- not sure if that's normal, but it's definitely worth checking.

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member

@BobW Easy! Thank you.

• I apologize for the trouble folks. If anyone continues to have trouble please let me know and I'll be happy to jump in.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I tried to use a second computer to download the latest nightly (and not have to delete all my data).
    The other computer was on the beta channel, but told me it in the About box that the version installed was the production build 8.10.3.
    I switched this build from beta to nightly and searched for updates. It found and installed 8.10.3-14.NIGHTLY, and when I launched it I got the warning about "You’ve used a newer version of 1Password on this device” again!
    There is something wrong with the beta/nightly builds……

I had kept a backup of the 8.10.3 build I had before and was able to restore it and this one opened fine on that second Mac.

Corentin

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@UXJedi I'm glad you like my avatar :-) I've been using it for as long as I can remember :-)

Corentin

• patmacster
    patmacster
    Community Member

Nice that a community member came up with a solution for "You’ve used a newer version of 1Password on this device" what is 1password doing to fix this?

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member

I had this with the last beta as well as today's. I contacted support a few days ago [#ARQ-15886-117] but solved it on my own by

• Deleting the Safari extention
    • Deleting 1PW
    • Reinstalling both

But if you then stay on the Beta build, it will recur, as it did for me today.

@ag_tommy so yeah, it happened to me again today after updating to the latest beta. I'm going to delete everything yet again and reinstall but not bother with the betas.

Never saw this issue before this week. Glad I'm not the only one but sheesh-seems like I've had waay more issues in the past year with 1PW on the Mac than ever. I miss the stability (and yes, I was on betas in the past-they were typically smooth sailing).

• @dtoub

I just followed up on your ticket via email.

ref: ARQ-15886-117

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

…and the problem remains with the new 8.10.4-8.NIGHTLY. 1Password updated and gave me the warning again.
    Weirdly enough, it gave me the warning on one computer, but not another.

Could something be done about this? There is a way to get back on our feet, but it's not a correction of the issue… (and prevents you from using the new builds in any case).

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

The problem remains with 8.10.4-9.NIGHTLY…
    Clearly there is a problem. Not sure why it doesn't affect all machines, but I see it on 2 Mac out of three using the betas and I'm not the only one…

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

I’ve also has this issue. Resolved by downloading the beta version of 1P8, even though I was on the production version when it happened.

Interestingly I updated the app on my login on the Mac, all was ok. Switched over to my wife’s login later on where it wanted to update also. It bricked it when the app updated from her login.

I don’t know if it’s possible for one login to have production updates enabled and one to have beta updates 🤷‍♂️ then if the production user updates it will mess things up

• @cortig

I'm not seeing this behavior with the latest nightly. I went from the beta to nightly yesterday as a test. I installed the update and it opened accordingly. It might be time to get you over to email support to see if there is anything in the logs. That said, I find it curious you experienced this on some devices and not others. I have my work device and my personal and I did not see it this time around using either device. I did see it once at the start of this thread with the nightly. Have you take then steps to create a new database on the device after the message? Because you restored from a backup you may have accidentally updated into the problem again. That would seem plausible to me. Please try resetting the database on the device without reverting to an earlier build and let me know how it goes.

fwiw I am using 8.10.4-13 at this time.

• @chris55

Your issue sounds like one we resolved several updates ago. Well, it's vaguely like that one. You mentioned 1Password 8. I wasn't sure if you were using the beta and then tried to switch to production which would cause this message due to a mismatch in the database type. To resolve it you would reset the database and allow it to be recreated. Assuming that you attempted to got from beta to stable. It could also be related to whatever the trouble is here.

Please reset the database and then let us know if the trouble continues. The steps can be found here. https://1password.community/discussion/129049/warning-popup-on-launch

• It's imperative to the safety of your data that you ensure it is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit and that you know your password before you begin.

Double-check that all data is present on 1Password.com. If you've been offline and you've made changes you could lose data if it is not on 1Password.com. This would include updates to items you've made.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I haven't restored anything from backups.
    I tried reinstalling various versions of the app itself (from other Mac around that had not updated) and it got me back on my feet usually, but update after update the issue kept on coming back.
    Yesterday I reset the data completely on the affected Mac and everything was redownloaded of the 1Password servers.
    I hope the issue is now fixed so that the warning won't popup again. Time (and future updates) will tell!

Corentin

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

I had kept a backup of the 8.10.3 build I had before and was able to restore it and this one opened fine on that second Mac.

I took this to mean you restored the app from the backup. Apologies if I erred.

Me:

Because you restored from a backup you may have accidentally updated into the problem again.

Apologies for not being clearer this was in reference to the app.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I understand what you meant (and I indeed thought you were talking about the data, not the app).
    Just so you know, I tried various builds of the app with the idea that 1) restoring the build I was on might get me back on my feet or 2) installing a later build might bypass the issue where this process seems to think my data is coming from a “later” build.
    Clearly, letting the app auto-update after restoring an old build was putting me at risk of seeing the warning again.

It seems that wiping out all my user data to redownload it off the 1Password servers is the easiest option, but it’s not great for troubleshooting the issue at hand here and confirm it has been fixed…

• Our developers are aware of the issue and are looking into making improvements to the update process in the future so that it's easier for users of nightly builds to recover from this if it occurs again. The team is also looking into making changes to the updater to avoid the issue entirely.

In the meantime, using just the beta or production builds will result in a more stable experience as those are QA tested.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I've passed along all of your comments to the team. If anyone else is still running into the issue then please let me know so that we can help get you back up and running. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15096
    ref: PB-32038641

• kshuey73
    kshuey73
    Community Member

I've still been getting issues with this on my Windows PC - each time I restart my computer I'm getting the error coming up.

Is there a fix/solution for Windows?

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member

Still happens to me. MacOS, iOS, iPadOS

• @kshuey73

I'm sorry that you're running into the issue on your Windows PC. So that we can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to send in a diagnostics report:

1. Press the Start button on your keyboard (it may have a Windows icon on it). This will bring up your Windows search bar.
    2. Copy and paste this into your Windows search bar: %localappdata%\1Password\logs
    3. Press Enter.
    4. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Attach the zipped diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• @UXJedi

I don't believe that we've received reports of the "You’ve used a newer version of 1Password on this device" error on either iOS or iPadOS, can you post a screenshot of the error message that you're seeing on your iPhone and iPad?

-Dave

• UXJedi
    UXJedi
    Community Member

Terribly sorry! I misspoke… er, mistyped… missed something! I meant to only say macOS.

• @UXJedi

No worries. If you continue to have trouble on the Mac please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

This discussion has been closed.