Edge extension never syncs

My browser extension never syncs for any new content.

When I add an item on desktop (macOS, already tried latest beta), it immediately appears in the iOS app, and vice versa.
Also after adding an item with either app, I can see it on my.1password.com afterwards.
The browser extension however will never sync, never recieve new items or changes to existing ones.

I am having the same issue for almost 16 months now, and it's very annoying.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• mxe
    mxe
    Community Member

note that I can force a sync only when logging out in the app, removing & reinstalling the browser extension.

the console log shows some CORS errors after every unlock of the browser extension, I figure that is the issue:

14:06:36.342 Access to fetch at 'https://my.1password.com/api/v2/overview' from origin 'chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf' has been blocked by CORS policy: Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mxe, sorry about the issue you're seeing with 1Password in Edge. Could you re-sync your account in Edge to see if that resolves the issue?

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

If the issue comes back, then please let us know the following:

• Do you have any other issues with the extension, such as being unable to save logins or generate new passwords?
    • Do you have any other extensions installed in Edge? If so, what are they?
    • Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs on your computer?
    • Do you use a proxy or VPN?

We may have to ask for the entirety of your extension console logs. However, let's start with the steps and questions above first. We look forward to hearing from you again.

• mxe
    mxe
    Community Member

sorry for long time no reply. I was kind of frustrated that this has been such a long standing issue for me, and almost gave up.

When I follow the steps above, the sync issue seems to be fixed, currently. Although I need to monitor this for a while, because in the past, after some time has passed it just stopped working again and again.

One thing I noticed though is I cannot properly re-sign-in, when my browser extension is set to only be active on click:

I do this for security reasons, so only sites I manually deem trustworthy can communicate with the extension. However, on login via the extension to connect to my vault, this leads to an infinite loading screen after I entered my master password:

may be worth mentioning I guess. Also, maybe this scenario isn't properly tested/supported by 1P? So that whenever my syncing issues would come back, this could also be related to the value of the "Site access" option of the extension in my browser?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mxe, it does seem like the issue that you've experienced is based on the reduced permissions that you've set. I've been able to reproduce the behaviors on my end (to an extent).

I'll reach out to our developers about the expected behavior and will open a ticket if necessary. In the meantime, can you update the site access permissions from 'on click' to 'on all sites'? That should provide for a significantly better experience.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@mxe I've chatted with one of our developers and can confirm that the extension does not support any access model other than "on all sites". With anything more restrictive, I'm afraid that the extension will not function properly. I'm very sorry for the news.

With that said, I can understand why you would want to use the extension with reduced permissions. I've created a feature request in regards to this on your behalf. Hopefully, our developers will consider the request for the future.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

PB: 33897298

This discussion has been closed.