How can I restrict a search to one vault in 1Password 8?

Options
jayvana
jayvana
Community Member

Our company does computer consulting for many customers, and each customer's passwords are stored in one or several vaults. With the 1Password 7 app for macOS, I used to frequently search for a particular customer's password, e.g. a firewall password, by clicking the customer's vault and then searching for "firewall". Now in the 1Password 8 app for macOS, when I search, it searches all vaults. If I then click command-enter (i.e. filter to all the passwords matching "firewall" across all vaults) and then click the particular customer's vault again, the search term "firewall" is cleared from the search box! I looked through preferences but don't see any way to change this behavior back to the old 1Password 7 behavior. This effectively means I've lost the ability to do a boolean AND search of vault + search term, thus making it a good bit more difficult to find the needle in the haystack that I'm looking for. Can you please recover this "Vault AND search term" functionality?

Thanks,
Jay

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:search within one vault

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The current search is a huge usability desaster. Whatever you select in the sidebar has no effect on search. Agilebits added keyboard shortcut that respects your selection. Choose a vault or category in the sidebar und hit CMD + F. The cursor is now placed in the search field and a special command for your selection is added as well. Just add the desired search term.
    Just another example how bad the new search UI/UX is compared to 1PW7's approach.

• Hi @jayvana,

As @viswiz mentioned, hitting + F while a vault is selected will add a filter to your search bar. Another option to specify which vault(s) you're searching is to utilize collections: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

• gregkeene
    gregkeene
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm with some others. With thousands of items in multiple vaults (some I want to be searched - not just one - and others I don't want to be searched), version 8 took vaults a step back. I understand about COMMAND-F on a vault and collections, it's just not the same. I'm hoping this gets cleaned up before version 9.

• Thanks for the additional feedback, @gregkeene, and for giving the latest features a try. I've added the feedback in this thread to our internal tracker. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-1896
    ref: IDEA-I-1381

• gregkeene
    gregkeene
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for listening. 1Password user and self-appointed evangelist since 2006.

• The whole team appreciates your confidence in what we do, @gregkeene, thank you! ❤️

• tdbbs
    tdbbs
    Community Member
    Options

I'm weighing in too. Losing the ability to say which vaults are searched is a HUGE problem for me. I have thousands of entries and depending on where i am i need to filter. I want this as preference. I don't want to have to filter results after i've searched. this is needed in the app and in the browsers. please bring back this feature.

And while i'm on here please make typing in search criteria and hitting enter take you to the search results like it used to. 99.9% of the time this is what i need. Now i have to select an option from the dropdown to get it to take me to the search results. Is this what search is for??? you search for something and it should bring up what you searched for. This is basic UI functionality. I am so frustrated with how it works now.

I've used 1password for years and years. My whole life is in there and I have three business which I've also brought in 1password. So I control a lot of licenses. I have 1907 items in 1password. Losing the search function is a killer for me. Bad enough for me to look elsewhere if they don't fix it. So if they are going to fix it, please let us know. I can wait. but if they are saying tough use it as it is, fine, I want to know that too so I can make business decisions.

• Hi @tdbbs 👋🏻

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback, I really appreciate it! While I encourage exploring the + F shortcut to search the currently selected vault, and collections: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults, I understand that you'd prefer to be able to search a vault by clicking it in the sidebar and that you'd like to see more control over the default search behaviour. I've added your feedback to our internal trackers on both these topics.

I can't make any promises about what changes will come to the apps in the future, but I can say with certainty that we're taking all feedback into consideration. Thanks again for sharing yours, let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1896
    ref: IDEA-I-289

• tmcneill
    tmcneill
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like the ability to configure the vaults to search by default. It's nice to be able to press Ctrl-F and search a particular vault, but what I want 99% of the time is to just search a particular set of vaults that I have configured, and not others that I keep for backup purposes but do NOT want to search.

• @tmcneill

Try setting a collection and then when using the collection you're only searching the vaults associated with the collection. Might that work for you?

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

This discussion has been closed.