Why does 1P opens a new browser tab prompting login...

bobkoh
bobkoh
Community Member
edited June 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

...immediately upon successful login to the Edge browser extension? How do I stop this unnecessary tab from opening? It doesn't serve any purpose, other than having to close this tab every time!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.8.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1P opens a new browser tab prompting login, after logging in to the Edge extension?

Comments

• Hey @bobkoh,

I'm sorry for the trouble, can you provide me with some more detail on the behaviour you are seeing?

Does the new tab have any kind of error message at all? Can you provide me with the link you are taken to or a screenshot of the page?

Any information would be really helpful.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

It's so weird that the behaviour stopped shortly after my post!

I wish I had taken screen-shots, and no, it did not have any error messages -- simply a page prompting for password as if I haven't logged in.

Nevertheless, it doesn't occur anymore. I appreciate your response!

Thank you,
    Bob

• Hi @bobkoh,

Thank you for getting back to me, that's always the way!

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you run into any further issues.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

It's doing it again! I sign-in through the browser extension. A browser tab opens prompting for log-in (again). Please see attached screen-prints in the that order.

• Thanks for getting back to me @bobkoh, I'm sorry for the trouble.

Can you check the version of 1Password in your browser that you have installed? The behaviour you are running into is an issue which I believe to be fixed in the latest updates.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

• Hey @bobkoh,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble.

I think at this point it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

I'll endure it for now -- it's just a matter of closing the extraneous browser tab. Will wait to see if a future release will rectify this behavior.

Would you please DELETE my second screen-print above showing my email and parts of my secret key?

Thank you for your attention.
    Bob

• @bobkoh,

Apologies again for the trouble, I have removed the screenshot.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

I'm about to give up on 1Password. The repetitive prompts are killing me! a new tab opens prompting for the same master password AFTER signing in through the browser extension! Ugh!

• I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble @bobkoh.

Can you send over the details as requested above so we can try to get to the bottom of things?

Thank you in advance.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member
    1. I don't know where the 1P Diagnostic Report is. There isn't a Settings after the "three dot ellipses".
    2. Also, your upload dialog wouldn't allow me to upload a .log or a .txt! Keeps coming back with "File format is not allowed". Pasting the latest console content here.....

16:12:24.950 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    16:12:25.110 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    16:12:25.247 background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    at y (background.js:2:9045)
    y @ background.js:2
    await in y (async)
    gke @ background.js:2
    (anonymous) @ background.js:2
    listener @ background.js:2
    broadcastState @ background.js:2
    updateState @ background.js:2
    connectWithDesktopApp @ background.js:2
    await in connectWithDesktopApp (async)
    reconnectWithDesktop @ background.js:2
    setTimeout (async)
    Sge @ background.js:2
    oge @ background.js:2
    get-frame-manager-configuration @ background.js:2
    await in get-frame-manager-configuration (async)
    yde @ background.js:2
    r @ background.js:2
    16:12:25.253 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    16:12:25.254 background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    await in y (async)
    setTimeout (async)
    16:12:25.255 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    16:12:25.692 background.js:2 šŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password
    16:12:25.693 background.js:2 šŸ“¤ Sending message to native core <1365804665>
    16:12:25.910 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    16:12:25.911 background.js:2 šŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7
    16:12:25.913 background.js:2 šŸ“¤ Sending message to native core <2321611446>
    16:12:25.915 background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    await in y (async)
    setTimeout (async)
    16:12:25.916 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    16:12:25.918 background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    16:12:25.994 background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    await in y (async)
    setTimeout (async)
    16:12:25.994 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    16:12:25.995 background.js:2 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    await in y (async)
    setTimeout (async)
    16:12:25.995 background.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.

• Hey @bobkoh,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The instructions to grab the diagnostics report are for the 1Password desktop app not 1Password in your browser. Can you let me know if you are able to follow them here?

In addition, can you attach both reports to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

So I suspect that the annoynance I have been experiencing is because I did not have the 1P8 app for Windows installed. SSO appears to be jiving now that I have the desktop app instead of just juggling between the browser extension and the 1P website.

• Thanks for getting back to me @bobkoh, you should be able to use 1Password in your browser independently but I'm glad things are now working better for you.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

I agree that the extension ought to work independently. I'm just glad that the desktop app is able to provide what was lacking. Thank you for your support, Steph!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bobkoh on behalf of Steph, you are welcome! If you want to troubleshoot things with just the extension running by itself, let us know and we can help look into it. We're always happy to help.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

I appreciate the help, Joy! I prefer the more robust app anyway.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bobkoh glad to hear that, I also use both the app and extension. Having both just works better for me.

• bobkoh
    bobkoh
    Community Member

Agreed! I find the extension to be a quick 'easy reach', while the app is more robust for overall maintenance.

• @bobkoh thanks for sharing, this is also how I utilise the two.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

• FarisNajem2023
    FarisNajem2023
    Community Member

@steph.giles

Hi Steph,
    Kindly, may I know why Nobody answered me from about 2 weeks?

I don't know what it means that an app as important and universal as 1password has no way to respond to requests for help.
    For more than a week I've been trying to get help to no avail. There is no chat for instant messaging on the application site, there is no email for correspondence, there is only a form for sending messages via this link (https://support.1password.com/) and when I sent two messages through this form, no one answered me. I searched the junke box in my email, I checked all the boxes, and I couldn't find any message. Four days ago, I contacted an employee who had previously contacted me because of a problem with purchasing the application, and this employee did not respond to me.

In all of these requests, I used the same email I used to create my 1PAssword account.
    And after all this inability to get help, I posted, two days ago, a post in 1Password community (you can find it in this link: https://1password.community/discussion/141038/problem-with-alfred-1password-integration#latest) in a place where I am supposed to get an answer from the application team! No one has answered so far, and agin: no answer!

What if it is more urgent, for example, that I lost all my sensitive information for some reason, and then I need urgent help from the support team?

Now I'm trying a new way: I will write a comment to anyone from 1Password in this community, just to know the reason for this failure to communicate with customers in a timely manner.

Honestly, I'm starting to regret buying this app!

• Hey @FarisNajem2023,

I'm so sorry for the trouble you have had contacting us.

I have taken a look at the thread you have shared and it looks like my colleague has got back to you.

As for the emails not getting through to us, this does seem strange. Can you try sending an email directly to support+forum@1password.com instead if you still require assistance?

This discussion has been closed.