tried 1password 8 for Mac, are features still missing?

Options
pinskerj
pinskerj
Community Member

I really did try on my Mac, but after so many years of 1password being great, I have to wonder how 8 is missing so many features?

There is no 1password mini from the menubar. It brings up some sort of search field. I want it to suggest items, not make me search. That alone made it unusable. Please make quicksearch go away. I don't want to search. Went back to 7, and on this website "agilebits forums" (my entry) comes up immediately if I use the menubar. In 8 I have to search.

I had to create a collection to make it only show favorites and other items by vault. Seems like an unnecessary step to limit things by vault but I guess it worked. But then the browser extension (a separate app I had to go find and install?) you had to pick the vault, it did not seem to honor the current collection. I can't imagine setting this up on my parent's computer, for example, or trying to explain this to them. It would be too hard for them to use. This is just too much. Just have it work by vault like 7 did.

I have 5 favorite items, why was it showing me the first letter before each one? It made the list twice as long. 1password7 does not do this unless the list is very long, presumably to help you read the list? Please bring back the old behavior/logic.

It is clearly not a native Mac app. 7 has crisp text, native lists, it looks a lot sharper. I couldn't quite figure out what font I was looking at. But it was clearly not Mac native. Choose compact view made it look a little better but still not the same.

Still no website re-ordering.

Watchtower has clear categories in 7. In 1P8, you can't see those categories on the left list. Instead you have to go to a dashboard, then click again on more categories. It seems like 1P8 makes you click more. I don't want to keep clicking going back and forth. This worked fine in 7, no need to change it.

Please bring back the setting to remove inline menu in safari. I don't want that button or popups appearing in my username and password fields. There does not seem to be a way to remove this in 8. Nor in iOS extension for that matter. Please restore all of this.

Thanks for considering the feedback. I am a happy customer, and happy to pay the annual subscription, after all I use 1password hundreds of times a day. But I'll stick with 1P7 for now on all my Macs. Looking forward to seeing these features restored and then can try again.

1Password Version: 8.10.3 (latest)
Extension Version: same (latest)
OS Version: 13.2.1 Mac
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @pinskerj! 👋

1Password 8 is a complete rewrite and redesign of 1Password that has allowed us to build a new and simpler experience right from the ground-up. Our product and development teams are continually working on making 1Password 8 even better and feedback such as yours helps a lot: Building a Better, More Useful 1Password

I'll respond to the points that you raised below:

There is no 1password mini from the menubar. It brings up some sort of search field. I want it to suggest items, not make me search. That alone made it unusable. Please make quicksearch go away. I don't want to search. Went back to 7, and on this website "agilebits forums" (my entry) comes up immediately if I use the menubar. In 8 I have to search.

1Password mini has been replaced by Quick Access which you can read more about here: Get to know Quick Access

You can have Quick Access suggest and fill logins by enabling Universal Autofill: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

But then the browser extension (a separate app I had to go find and install?) you had to pick the vault, it did not seem to honor the current collection. I can't imagine setting this up on my parent's computer, for example, or trying to explain this to them. It would be too hard for them to use. This is just too much. Just have it work by vault like 7 did.

1Password in the browser doesn't yet support collections and I agree that this is something that needs to be improved. I've passed along your feedback to the product team.

I have 5 favorite items, why was it showing me the first letter before each one? It made the list twice as long. 1password7 does not do this unless the list is very long, presumably to help you read the list? Please bring back the old behavior/logic.

I've passed along this suggestion to the team as well.

7 has crisp text, native lists, it looks a lot sharper. I couldn't quite figure out what font I was looking at. But it was clearly not Mac native. Choose compact view made it look a little better but still not the same.

Can you post a screenshot of where you're seeing fuzzy text that isn't sharp? I'd like to better understand what you're seeing so that I can have our design team take a look.

Still no website re-ordering.

This will be coming in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing it as well. 🤞

Watchtower has clear categories in 7. In 1P8, you can't see those categories on the left list. Instead you have to go to a dashboard, then click again on more categories. It seems like 1P8 makes you click more. I don't want to keep clicking going back and forth. This worked fine in 7, no need to change it.

1Password 8 allows you to see all alerts in one place:

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "clicking going back and forth"?

Please bring back the setting to remove inline menu in safari. I don't want that button or popups appearing in my username and password fields. There does not seem to be a way to remove this in 8. Nor in iOS extension for that matter. Please restore all of this.

You can prevent the inline filling menu from appearing automatically by following these steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Click Autofill in the sidebar.
    4. Turn off "Show autofill menu on field focus".

I don't recommend disabling the 1Password icon from username/password fields since that's the easiest way to fill and save items but you can do so if you wish by also turning off "Offer to fill and save passwords".

1Password for Safari on iOS doesn't currently have these options and I've let the product team know that you'd like to see them there as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31813416
    ref: PB-31813466
    ref: PB-31813824

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, thanks for the reply. Here is an example in latest 1password 8, if I click anywhere on the list, it highlights in blue. I arrow down, it doesn't select the new item, but it changes color, as if it is selected (secure notes). I keep arrowing, now it is highlighting identities (even though 2 other sections are still highlighted), but never selected identities. Eventually you have to press return I guess to select it. This is something a Mac app doesn't do. I believe in 7, arrowing down selects the new section. Is this because it is an electron app?

Also it seems the app and the extension are not in sync. Choosing which vault to save in for the app or extension does not seem to affect the other one.

Thanks.

• @pinskerj

Thank you for the clarification and for posting a screenshot. I agree that it would be nice to have a category (or other selection in the sidebar) be automatically selected when you use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate to that selection and I've filed an internal work item for our developers to look into this further. Thank you for the feedback!

Also it seems the app and the extension are not in sync. Choosing which vault to save in for the app or extension does not seem to affect the other one.

I have definitely see how it would be convenient for the default vault to be set once for both the app and the extension. I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#20792
    ref: PB-31869175

This discussion has been closed.