Need to remove standalone version (7.x.x) from a Mac laptop running macOS Catalina

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

How do I effectively remove at least the 1Password VAULT and likely also the software application itself from a Mac laptop I am soon to decommission... ??? thanks...

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @diitto

Apple has a guide available on this subject which you may find helpful. If you follow all of the steps in their guide, all of the data will be erased from the computer, including 1Password:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

If you'd rather remove 1Password specifically, e.g. because you don't plan to erase the hard drive, I can help with that. 1Password 7 and earlier stores data in different locations on the Mac. The exact paths depend on whether you've installed 1Password from the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store, and if you've enabled specific features, such as third-party syncing.

The actual application should be located here:

• /Applications/1Password 7.app

Application support files including the vault database, backup files, license files, and Watchtower data are contained in this folder:

• ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/

I hope that helps!

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben... I can imagine it's easy to toss the .app file but also the folder I see at the path in Group Containers you call out above??? Just delete that entire folder as an administrator user??? Will it let me do that?? And will that also get the 1Password vault??? thanks...

• @ditto

Yes, you can delete the folder. If asked for your password please supply you macOS user password. To make sure I'm not overlooking anything how did you sync your data in 1Password 7? Did you sync your data?

You might also be interested in this help topic from Apple.  Apple Support - What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac * Be sure to only use the steps here once you have all of the needed information from the device.

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help, both Ben and ag_tommy... The way I've used 1Password is individually on a given apple computer, meaning I don't sync 1password vaults between devices... Not sure that is the correct answer to what you're asking about syncing but that's what I can offer here... I will soon use the same Apple Support document you guys referenced above to "clean" this old computer but I also like to just take the added step of, before cleaning, to remove the 1Password vault manually as you haven instructed... Anything else to add??? Otherwise, thanks for your help... I will try the suggested removal soon... thanks...

• You gave the details I was looking for as in, you are not syncing. That let's me know you do not have another copy in some other location. With that being the case removing the directory Ben mentioned would clear the database.

I also like to just take the added step of, before cleaning, to remove the 1Password vault manually as you haven instructed...

I don't blame you. 🙂 I remove 1Password and its database and then reset the Mac too. So I think you're 100% on the correct path.

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

I will do what you guys instructed soon... I have two older MacBook pro's, only one of which has 1Password, that I intend to recycle soon... I would just feel more comfortable to remove 1Password as an additional step prior to doing the "before you sell...." steps Ben mentioned above... Thanks to both you, ag_tommy, and Ben for your help... If I have issues when I do the tossing of 1Password, I will holler again... thanks...

• Even if you first manually remove 1Password's files I definitely recommend that you follow the steps in Apple's support article before giving away (or recycling) your Mac to ensure that everything is wiped. let us know if you have any other questions in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave_iP... I certainly intend to do both, first remove the 1Password files and then clean the machine following Apple's support article...

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

Sounds good! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.