Apps on iOS and iPadOS often do not suggest logins, have to search manually instead

Options
bluewhite7
bluewhite7
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

When I use an app on my iOS or iPadOS that requires login, 1Password rarely finds the Login automatically, but requires me to manually search for the Login information, then I can select it. But why doesn’t this work better and automatically? This is so frustrating! I think this got worse with 1Password 8.

Screenshots below. It’s the example of using the Apple Store app, which requires my Apple Login.

1. Apple Store App, when I want to Login, not showing any suggestions

2. I have to do a manual search instead

3. My Settings

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 16,iOS 16.3
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:App

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bluewhite7 !

Maybe this comment from me will answer your question:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/671242/#Comment_671242

• @bluewhite7

I wanted to follow-up here to see if you needed any more assistance after taking a look at the link that DenalB posted. Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further. 🙂

-Dave

• bluewhite7
    bluewhite7
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yes, I took a look and understand there is no solution as long as the app developer doesn't add an associated domain.

But I'm curious to know:

1. Shouldn't we assume that Apple would be doing this for all their apps? The example I showed you above is a screenshot from the Apple App Store app. Even in that case, 1Password wasn't able to suggest my login. Could someone validate, if he/she experiences the same on iOS?

2. Would anyone like to take a guess, how often the automated login in iOS apps works for them or not? At the time I submitted my post in this forum, I was so frustrated because I had the feeling that it didn't work for 90% of my apps. Could that be? Maybe this was only some temporary glitch?

• bluewhite7
    bluewhite7
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that was helpful. I now understand that this can't always work, if the developer of an app doesn't add an associated domain.

Still, I'd be curious to know:

1. The example with the first screenshot I provided above was taken from the Apple App Store app. Shouldn't we expect that Apple (as the developer of their apps) would do just that? Could others test/confirm, if their automated login to the App Store App is working on iOS or not?

2. Could other users take a guess, how often the automated login in other apps works or fails? On the day I submitted my question in this forum, I was so frustrated, because nearly every app I used on that day, didn't work (i.e. 1Password wasn't table to provide the login without copy & paste). I would guess that it didn't work for 90% of my apps. What would your guess be? Should it be the exception or the rule, that the automated login works for most of the apps?

• @bluewhite7

I'm not seeing a suggestion when using Password AutoFill to sign into the App Store on my iPhone either. Since the 1Password suggestions screen doesn't include a section labeled SUGGESTIONS FOR [website address] it means that the App Store isn't sending 1Password an associated domain that can be linked to the Login item for your Apple ID. I recommend reporting the issue to Apple so that they can investigate further.

I would guess that it didn't work for 90% of my apps. What would your guess be?

Personally, I would say that over 90% of the apps that I use include an associated domain that allows Password AutoFill to suggest an item from 1Password. Of course, the percentage will depend on the selection of apps that you use. Do you see SUGGESTIONS FOR [website address] on the 1Password screen after you tap on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard for any of the apps?

-Dave

• bluewhite7
    bluewhite7
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, thank you for the reply! I've been testing this for a while and I can confirm that in many cases my apps include an associated domain, but still, cases remain, where it doesn't work. It would be so wonderful if we could teach 1Password manually – i.e. associate a certain login information/password with a certain app, i.e.: When iOS app named "XYZ" asks for a Login Password, use the password linked under the name "XYZ". It's probably wishful thinking? Maybe possible someday. Why don't you work with Apple to make this possible?

(PS: Please Feel free delete one of my former duplicate forum posts. This wasn't my plan. Sorry.)

• @bluewhite7

If an app has an associated domain then iOS Password AutoFill will match the app to a Login Item in 1Password. Could you post a few examples of iOS apps that have associated domains, and that you have a Login Item that includes that domain saved in 1Password, where Password AutoFill isn't offering suggestions for those apps?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• bluewhite7
    bluewhite7
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Dave, I'm sorry I was misunderstood. Let me clarify: 1Password does offer me suggestions for apps that have associated domains. I'm just not happy with quite a few apps without associated domains, where 1Password doesn't (and cannot) provide suggestions. After all I learned, it's not 1Password I blame. But I would hope and trust that 1Password is such a special and preferred vendor who works closely with Apple to improve the situation in the near future. Consider it a feature request and feedback for improvement. Does this help?

• @bluewhite7

Thank you for clarifying. While I can't promise anything, I've passed along your feedback to the team. 🙂

In the meantime, I recommend submitting feedback to the developer of an app that isn't currently including an associated domain so that they can update their app to support associated domains in the future. You can forward them Apple's article on the subject: Supporting associated domains | Apple Developer Documentation

-Dave

ref: PB31969114

This discussion has been closed.