1Password stealing focus from Chrome

Options
aleksikallio
aleksikallio
Community Member

Hi all,

For a few days now, I've been having issues with 1Password and Chrome on Mac. When browsing, the 1Password desktop app randomly activates and steals focus from the browser, causing me to stop writing in text boxes, having to click once more for links etc. If I happen to have the 1Password main window open in the background, it pops up to the top.

Also the Chrome plugin has been really slow, loads for 10 seconds on menu bar icon click and requires me to enter my password far too often.

Is this an issue with 1Password, Chrome or macOS?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 (81000055)
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.2.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @aleksikallio! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that the 1Password app is stealing focus on your Mac and that 1Password in the browser isn't working properly. Our developers are investigating a couple of issues that sound similar to what you're describing, so that I can look into this further I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18841

• aleksikallio
    aleksikallio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P !

Thanks for the quick response! Fortunately, the app had a pending update to 8.10.1, which seems to have fixed the issue.

If the behaviour reappears, I know what to do, but for now this issue is resolved for me.

-Aleksi

• sof
    sof
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Unfortunately I'm still seeing this happen on my end. I'm on 1Password for Mac 8.10.1 (81001033) using the Arc browser (Chromium based, runs Chrome extensions). Like Aleksi, the 1Password app will pop up every 10-20 seconds or so and steal focus away from the browser window. It seems to be a recent thing. It also happens when 1Password is running as a menubar item and the 1P window is closed. In this case the 1P window pops up on top of the browser window and steals focus (not the browser extension's window).

• @aleksikallio

I'm happy to hear that the issue is no longer occurring on your Mac. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• @sof

Can you please restart your Mac and then wait and see if the issue occurs again. If it does then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• sof
    sof
    Community Member
    Options

I'd originally restarted and the issue still persisted, but I restarted again (to fix a different issue) and it seems OK now. I'll let you know if it happens again...

• @sof โ€“ย That's good to hear! Keep an eye on the situation, and if you find it happens again, send us a diagnostics report using Dave's instructions and we can take a look for you. :)

• AirKevin
    AirKevin
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

I had the same problem that started with the latest release (ver 81003012).

I seemed to solve it by going to "Settings > Advanced > UNTICK: "Keep detail windows on top".

I'll repost if the fix was just temporary and the issue comes back.

• @AirKevin

Thank you for sharing, let us know if the issue returns for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• AirKevin
    AirKevin
    Community Member
    Options

So far so good, problem seems to be solved.

• Sounds good, if you do have any issues in the future then don't hesitate to reach out again. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.146 (Official Build) (arm64) on a MacBook Pro M1.

1Password is on 8.10.3. I had to click on this browser window 4 times to finish typing these two lines. :)

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

I seemed to solve it by going to "Settings > Advanced > UNTICK: "Keep detail windows on top".

Dang, I need to read gooder - just saw the above.

Well, I did, and I quit/relaunched 1Password and Google Chrome, but still happens.

• @donmontalvo

Apologies, I'm not sure if your trouble was resolved in the end. Or if only on set of instructions failed you? Can you clarify?

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

I've spent more time troubleshooting than I care to. I removed the browser extension.

• If you'd like to revisit this in the future we'll be here for you. You might also consider email us using support+forum@1password.com for a direct line of communication.

This discussion has been closed.