Browser extension not checking for stale cache before writing updates?

Options
tzs
tzs
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I was in the midst of signing up to a new site. I had entered the account name and temporary password they assigned me, and saved those in 1Password using the "save in 1Password" option the browser extension offered. Then on the next page the site made me choose security question answers.

In the 1Password desktop application I opened the site entry and started editing it to add the security questions and answers. I finished adding them but did not immediately save since I didn't know if there would be other stuff during account setup that I'd want to add.

On the next page the site told me the temporary password had expired and wanted me to pick a new password. 1Password in the browser helpfully offered a great suggestion. I knew that if I accepted 1Password would offer to update the saved information, so before accepting I went to the desktop 1Password and saved my edits.

I accepted the suggested password in the browser, 1Password there offered to update the saved site info, and I accepted.

Result: the updated password was in the saved site info as expected, but the security questions/answers were gone.

It appears that the browser extension loaded the saved site info while I was editing, and when I saved the edits that did not invalidate the now stale copy the browser extension had cached.

1Password Version: 8.10.11
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 13.2.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @tzs,

I'm sorry for the trouble you have had when setting up an account on this website, let's start by seeing if we can recover those details for the security questions. Can you try the steps in this guide to access the item history and let me know how you get on: View and restore previous versions of items.

In addition, can you paste chrome://extensions followed by the enter key into your address bar and let me know which version/s of 1Password you see here? It would also be useful if you could send over a link to the website in question so we can do some testing on our end.

Thank you!

• tzs
    tzs
    Community Member
    Options

2.8.1 for the version of 1Password in Chrome.

No need to try to recover the security questions. I remembered them all and the answers so it was no big deal to enter them again.

The website was https://demo.convergepay.com/converge-webapp/#!/login but that probably won't be very useful for you unless you actually are actually opening a payment processing account with Elavon and have gotten a demo account for their Converge payment gateway. Otherwise you won't be able to get to the situation I ran into on that site.

Anyway, I wasn't reporting this to get help. I was reporting it to let you know that it looks like someone missed a case in handling coordinating multiple database writers.

• Hey @tzs,

Thank you for getting back to me, understood.

If you'd like our developers to take a look into that specific site then let us know and we can send instructions over for you to send page details.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all!

This discussion has been closed.