When using YubiKey for 1password on a PC, am I forced to use it on my cell phone to access 1password

RobertHana
RobertHana
Community Member

For home user. I want to use a YubiKey on my PC to access 1password but would like to use my fingerprint scanner on my Galaxy S22 to access 1password. Am I forced to use the Yubikey on my cell phone or do I have the option to use the phones fingerprint scanner instead?
The reason is using the key on my home PC will be convenient but not so for the cell phone.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ FireFox on PC, Chrome on Cell
Referrer: forum-search:If I setup a pc with YubiKey for 1password am I forced to use it on my cell phone to access 1password? Or do I have the option to use the phones fingerprint scanner instead?

Comments

• @RobertHana

The security key is only used on the first linking. After that your password and or things like biometrics are used to access 1Password. Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account Accessing 1Password.com would require the key.

• RobertHana
    RobertHana
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the case.Othetwise it would of been inconvenient using the key every time on my android phone while out and about.

• 👍🏻

• RobertHana
    RobertHana
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Just thinking, if a security key is only needed for 1password.com but not needed to access the 1password vault then, is it vulnerable to a passphrase hack?

• Hi @RobertHana, thanks for following up with us. Just to clarify, after setting up 2FA for a 1Password account, the security key or TOTP will be required every where you use 1Password to access your synced information. If you sign in somewhere new, your account password, Secret Key and 2FA would be required for the first sign in. If a 1Password app is reset or deauthorized the 2FA (as well as the password and Secret Key) would be required again to sign in. If a device where you use 1Password is every lost or stolen, we recommend changing your Secret Key and deauthorizing the device to help prevent malicious access.

This discussion has been closed.