how to generate a password?

Options
redtara
redtara
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Mac

There is no option, icon, key, or anywhere in the 1P app or Safai app to generate a password.

1Password Version: Mac 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Mac 12.6.3
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:how to generate a password?

Comments

• Dmytro222
    Dmytro222
    Community Member
    Options

This is our common pain :)

• Hello @redtara! 👋

You can generate a password when creating a new Login or Password item:

Alternatively, you can find a custom password generator in 1Password for Safari:

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member
    Options

I know how 1P should work, I've been using it since the first version. I have no password generator option either in Safari 1P or the desktop version. Yes, I can create a new password when creating a new login in that window, Which does not always work and I have
    to using Safari password creator as 1P has failed.

• @redtara

Thank you for the reply. It looks like you've posted a picture of Quick Access which indeed does not include a password generator. Quick Access is meant to be a tool that you can use to quickly look up existing items: Get to know Quick Access

I have no password generator option either in Safari 1P or the desktop version.

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar (not in the menubar at the top of your screen).
    3. Click the button.
    4. Click Password Generator.

If one the steps doesn't work then can you tell me which one and what you see on your screen? 🙂

-Dave

• redtara
    redtara
    Community Member
    Options

(not in the menubar at the top of your screen). That was the critical info I needed. Thanks.

• I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

• Dmytro222
    Dmytro222
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

So, I need to make minimum 5 clicks of the mouse just to create a password. It's very inconvenient. Before I made 1-2 (ONE OR TWO) clicks to do this. If You need to do this constantly this is VERY annoying.

Oh, I forgot - You need to discard saving this new password (I will save it from website form later). This is 2 more clicks. Before I copy to Clipboard a new password only and 1Password window closed itself automatically.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dmytro222

If you'd like to generate a password for a website then 1Password in the browser can do that for you right on the page:

1Password will generate and save the password for you. There's no need to manually generate a password and go through the process of copying and pasting passwords from a website to 1Password. You can read more here: Get to know 1Password in your browser

-Dave

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

It looks like you've posted a picture of Quick Access which indeed does not include a password generator. Quick Access is meant to be a tool that you can use to quickly look up existing items...

It's also meant to be a replacement for 1Password mini, which did have a very convenient "Generate Password" button at the top of its window. I, for one, would love to see it make a return in Quick Access, because sometimes you need to generate passwords outside of Safari.

• Dmytro222
    Dmytro222
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P

I often generate passwords for other purposes, not only web forms. And Chrome uses its tooltip to create the password in the forms and I don't see a 1Password offer to generate the password. I have attached screenshot from wsj.com (as an example). Or is this a 1Password suggestion?

• @Dmytro222

That's a 1Password offering. 🙂 If you click it you should see a prompt similar to this.

• Dmytro222
    Dmytro222
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, it's a little better, but what about quick password generation outside of the web form?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dmytro222

You could open the desktop app and then click the blue (or your chosen highlight color) + New Item at the top of the screen. Or open 1Password in the browser and also click the blue + New Item.

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy @Dave_1P

After adding my piece to this thread, I noticed y'all closed another thread earlier this month with 4 pages of people voicing their support for putting a "Generate Password" button in Quick Access. I guess maybe this thread boils down to a handful of additional names to add to that list?

https://1password.community/discussion/129312/password-generator-in-1password-8-quick-access/p1

• @fishbert

It would be a feature request type of thing for the ability to generate passwords from within Quick Access. I'd be happy to add one on your behalf. 🙂

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy
    Well, I think one already exists from that other thread. But I'm happy to raise my hand in support of it.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

Eh, yeah, but I need to record your input for accurate tracking. 🙂

ref: PB-32100191

• Dmytro222
    Dmytro222
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Let's do the math:
    1) Click on the application icon
    2) Entering a password / touching your finger to the fingerprint reader
    3) Click New Item
    4) Click Login
    5) Click on Password field
    6) Click Create a New Password
    7) I can't just copy the new password, so click on Use
    8) Ctrl-C of the new password.
    9) Click on the cross in the top right corner to close the window.
    10) Click on Discard changes
    11) Click on the button to close the application window or in my application window to continue

Not too many clicks? Try to "click" at least 10 passwords that way.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Dmytro222

I've passed along your request for a password generator to the team previously when you requested it in another thread earlier this year. I've added your new comments to the feature request as well. Thank you for the feedback.

In any case, the original poster's question has been answered so I'm closing this thread so that they don't continue to receive notifications. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-31558197

This discussion has been closed.