"Import directly from LastPass" pg says install desktop app, choose File > Import, no file menu

Options
2»

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@tzafrir

If you use the LastPass import, as per your screenshot, that will retrieve all of your data from your LastPass account. This would be the best option. Then you could just delete the items you don't want.

The From File option supports importing CSV generated by 1Password or iCloud Keychain, not LastPass, so it is quite limited. It is not a general CSV importer.

You could use the 1Password.com CSV importer, but you will have to laboriously select each row of data that you want imported, or ignored. Furthermore, it only supports the category types of Login, Credit Card, and Secure Note.

Perhaps you can clarify a bit more if you need additional guidance.

• tzafrir
    tzafrir
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I have started examining the migration from LastPass some time ago, but got upset when I realized that attachments were not exported-imported with the CSV file option. When I tested it back then, I could just copy the parts that I want to import into a new CSV and use it.
    I was very glad to find the new import option that include attachments too.
    I wanted to test it first, but without transferring all data from LastPass, which includes shared folders, personal folders etc.
    I wanted to try it out with a small subset of the data first.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@tzafrir

You're welcome.

That's correct, in that LastPass does not export attachments (so it would be a bit difficult for 1Password to import what doesn't exist).

The two LastPass import methods are fundamentally different, so there would be no way to compare them as you're describing.

The native LastPass importer does not use any form of CSV - it uses the LastPass API and retrieves all of the data directly from LastPass. You have no ability here to specify a subset of the data.

A LastPass export is CSV-like (it is not strict, and has some issues), and it encodes various categories (types) using its own simple encoding scheme. You could massage this CSV-like file for import, but if you are going this route, I'll suggest there is a better way.

The best import for LastPass will be the beta or nightly releases of the 1Password desktop app. Eventually the development of that importer will settle and be robust enough to handle everyone's data without issue. Only the 1Password folks will be able to provide definitive guidance here.

• tzafrir
    tzafrir
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, how are you?
    Please see my questions and MRC' replies (thanks again MRC! ).
    Is there a way to use the improved 'Import from LastPass with attachments' option, but to start/test with only part of the data?
    E.g., import only 2 folders with all items and their attachments?
    If not, is it something planned to be released soon?
    Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @tzafrir,

I'm doing good, you?

MrC's accurate with their statements here.

Is there a way to use the improved 'Import from LastPass with attachments' option, but to start/test with only part of the data?

Do you have a Family or Business account with LastPass?

If not, there isn't a way to do this, the importer will import everything from your LastPass account like MrC said.

The reason I ask about Family/Business is that we do not import shared folders with Hide passwords permission enabled, it will be skipped because we can't get that data.

If you do have Family/Business, I don't know if you want to try moving everything without attachments into one shared folder and set it to hide passwords. Note that any movement of items between folders will update its timestamps.

The other option is that in the latest nightly builds, we tag every item with the folder name, LastPass and LastPass import date. You can selectively delete these tagged items if you know where your attachments are. In other words, if you know folder A doesn't have any items you want to keep, you can select that tag, select all items with that tag plus LastPass and delete them.

If not, is it something planned to be released soon?

This is currently no plan for us to do this.

• tzafrir
    tzafrir
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC, thanks for the detailed answer.

Do you have a Family or Business account with LastPass?

Nope, we have LastPass Teams account. Does it mean that we would only be able to move entire data by using the 'Import from LastPass with attachments' option?

Will the items get the

folder name, LastPass and LastPass import date

?

This discussion has been closed.