Feature request: "receiving" passwords similar to "sharing" passwords

We are interacting with a lot of customers and partners and we like to use the "share password" feature.

However, we are currently missing a way for the customers that do not use 1password to send us secrets securely.

So, our feature request would be an "inverse password sharing" feature: we would generate a link (that gets verified in the same way as the sharing currently) that we can pass to an external person and who can then add 1 item (or we might even prepare that item) to a specific vault (or maybe an "incoming" vault if we don't prepare an item that we want others to fill in).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Theuni,

The functionality for allowing external individuals to send you credentials via a link you send out has been requested before, so I'll go ahead and share your feedback with our Product team as well. Thanks for taking the time to bring up this idea and share your feedback.

ref: pb-30849076

The best option now is to invite these people as guests to your team or business account and share a single vault with them. From there, they'll be able to create items containing those credentials that you can also view.

Share with guests in your team

• Theuni
    Theuni
    Community Member

Thanks! I tried searching for it but didn't find it. We'll check whether guest users would be helpful here.

• You're very welcome. Let us know should anything else come up, we're always here to help. 👍

• cgray
    cgray
    Community Member

@ag_max, I've been using a similar platform to 1Password, but it allows to request passwords from clients. It's invaluable as they don't have to login and can quickly and easily send information. Much like @Theuni proposed above. Without this feature, we'll be looking for another solution. Do you know if there are any plans to add something like this?

• ag_max
    edited March 2023

@cgray,

I appreciate your feedback here. Our team is continually considering these requests to improve sharing items (and in this case, expand this to receiving items) and they're tracking interest internally.

Although I'm not aware of any active plans, I'll go ahead and share your feedback with them. If you have any other issues or blockers for your organization, our team will be happy to assist, and you can contact us via email so we can address them privately if you'd like.

ref: pb-31854773

• sgng
    sgng
    Community Member

The suggestion with guest users using a vault would need one vault per guest entity (person/company). With multiple guests in the same vault they could see each other's stuff, which would desirable.

• Hello @sgng,

1Password currently allows multiple guests to access the same vault. Guests are limited to a single vault, but there is no rule about their assigned vault being accessible by other guests.

If you'd like to send an email to support@1password.com to explain your use case, I'd be glad to help discuss what you'd like to do and confirm if it's already possible.

Thank you,

• sgng
    sgng
    Community Member

Perhaps I didn't explain it exact enough: If you have one guest vault every guest can see everything in it. If you don't want this you need to make one vault for each guest. That has a potential for confusion. You can revoke the right to view entries, but then the guest can't see anything. I didn't try if the guest can make new entries lacking the right to view.

• Hey @sgng,

Thanks for helping to clarify your request. It sounds like you'd like each guest to have their own vault, which isn't shared with other guests. That's already possible, but would require a new shared vault to be created for each guest, before assigning them access to it. Can you clarify more about the potential confusion you are worried about? I'd like to be sure I understand your use case before sharing this internally.

Additionally, can you let me know more about why you'd want the guests to create items they cannot view? Is that just so a guest can share items with the team, but not change items submitted by other guests? Currently 1Password requires permission to view items, in order to create items, so I wanted to confirm I understood your goals and use case.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.