"Sign In" button does nothing in 1Password

Options
usagora
usagora
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Just did a clean reinstall of Windows 11 Pro. Installed Chrome and the 1Password extension that I have always used before without issue. But after I click "Sign In" after entering my email, secret key, and password, nothing happens. It's like the button is just dead. However, if I leave the email field blank, I'll get an "Invalid email address" message. But if I fill in the correct email and then click "Sign In" again--nothing. So bizarre! What could be the issue?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I should've mentioned the extension version is 2.8.1

• Hey @usagora,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

When you are signing in to 1Password in your browser can you send me a screenshot of the page you are taken to to sign in? Please don't fill out the fields or send any personal information in the screenshot. Thank you!

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles

It's the standard my.1password.com page. Screenshot attached.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@usagora

I'm unable to reproduce this. Have you checked for OS and browser updates? * I needed to install Chrome to test this. What about trying the old standby a device restart?

edit: Oops, I see this was a reinstall. That said, updates can be sneaky I'd double check.

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy

Yes, even this morning before replying to @steph.giles I checked again for Windows updates (there was one--installed it) and also for Chrome updates (there were none--up to date). I even cleared all browsing data (all categories / all time), removed the 1Password extension and re-installed it, but it's still doing nothing when I click the "Sign In" button. Also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome, but it still doesn't work--yes, even after rebooting too.

And are you ready for this? After testing, I've discovered I'm not able to log in to my.1password.com on FireFox or Edge either on this Windows 11 machine. I am also not able to log in to the site on any of those browsers on another Windows machine (Windows 10) I have NOR on a Mac Mini that I also have (macOS Ventura). In all cases, the Sign In button does nothing when clicked.

So you'd think it's my network, right? Nope! I'm able to sign into my.1password.com just fine on my iPhone (connected to the same network via wi-fi) in both Safari and Chrome for iOS.

So I am at a complete loss! I don't understand why it would work on a mobile device but on none of three desktop devices on two different operating systems and 3 different browsers!

You might want to edit the title of this thread to: "Unable to sign in to my.1password.com" because I now realize it's clearly not a Chrome issue. I'm unable to edit the title.

• @usagora

Thanks. After replying to you, another colleague of the blue asked me about a similar situation. We believe your issue is related. The team is investigating. My apologies for the trouble. Can you verify that you've typed the entire Secret key? It should be 40 characters in length including the dashes.

To help troubleshoot let's get you over to our extensions team who can gather logs that might help narrow the issue or confirm it is the one we were discussing. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

ref: dev/b5/b5#20182

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ag_tommy

Ok, this is super embarrassing, but somehow I was NOT entering the full secret key--I was leaving off the last two groups of numbers! I'm not sure how on earth I managed to do that. The reason it worked on my phone was because I was able to copy/paste the secret key from the 1Password app. On the desktop computers, I was copying/pasting my original incomplete key that I had typed in Notepad, which explains why it failed consistently.

I would say sorry for wasting your time, but I think there's an improvement that 1Password can make here-- let the user know there's something wrong with their secret key instead of just doing nothing when the Sign In button is clicked/pressed . Had I gotten an error message like that, I would've double-checked the key and realized my error right away. But since there was no error message, I assumed my info was correct and it was a bug.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

No worries at all, and you did not waste our time. That's why we are here. 🙂 The reason I asked about the full Secret Key was the issue we have filed for this is to improve the error messaging here. I'm glad things are looking up. We'll get to work on fixing up the site with some wording to help in situations like this.

It's a win. You have access. Sorry to the snafu.

This discussion has been closed.