Windows Hello - set Face as the 1P default

Options
JohnInCA
JohnInCA
Community Member

Hi,

I'm new to 1P, having come from LastPass earlier this week. I'm loving 1P!

I have Settings > Security > Unlock set to use Hello with TPM. It's working just fine. However, when I first open 1P, the WIndows Security windows usually opens with the fingerprint option--sometimes opens with Face. I would always like to use face recognition on one of my PCs, so I'm wondering if it's possible to set Face as the default, rather than having to click More choices > Face. I don't want to disable the fingerprint option in Windows settings.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @JohnInCA,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the 1Password Community. 😀 We're happy to hear how much you are loving 1Password!

The 1Password for Windows desktop app asks Windows to authenticate you through Windows Hello using a Pin, fingerprint or face scan. Since we hand this duty off to Windows Hello/Security, we have no way to default this to Face, versus Fingerprint or PIN.

I recommend reaching out to Microsoft Support to see if they have any other suggestions that could be made here with Windows Hello.

If you have any other questions, please let us know! We'll be happy to help.

• JohnInCA
    JohnInCA
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up, in case others might have the same question: The solution is easy. Simply go into Windows Settings and disable the Hello option to use your fingerprint. 1P will then be opened using face recognition (or PIN if you select More Choices in the 1P login window).

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @JohnInCA! Thanks for following up 😄 it's great to hear that you've been able to get things working the way you'd like by disabling the Hello fingerprint option.

This discussion has been closed.