ctrl-f doesn't work (i.e., focus does not go to the Search window)

Options
bjkeefe
bjkeefe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Windows

When I first upgraded to 1PW8, hitting ctrl-f would indeed put me in the Search window -- a nice border would appear, to show that focus had changed, the blinking cursor would appear there, and characters I typed right afterwards would appear in that window. Very handy, obviously.

I should note that I can get the desired behavior by clicking in that window, so this seems like it's only a problem with the keyboard shortcut.

I am sorry that I did not note exactly when it stopped working, but I can say it has been at least several weeks and likely at least a couple of months. In other words, the breakage happened somewhere between my initial upgrade to version 8, and however many minor-version-number upgrades there have been since. (I have 1PW set to automatically upgrade.)

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: not installed
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, v22H2, build 19045.2728
Browser:_ n/a, but since you asked: Firefox 111.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:ctrl-f doesn't work

Comments

• Hello @bjkeefe,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've encountered with Ctrl + F.

It sounds as though you may have been searching while your account and All items is selected in the left sidebar. I've been unable to reproduce any issues and in this case, Ctrl + F continues to focus the search bar.

I've included our guide here to, Search in the 1Password app to find what you need, which is broken down into 2 sections:

1. Find items - Ctrl + Alt + F can be used to find items in the current list.
    2. Search filters - Ctrl + F can be used to add a search filter based on your current selected tag, category, vault, etc., from the left sidebar.

I hope this information helps, but if you need further assistance, just let us know. We'll be here for you.

• bjkeefe
    bjkeefe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me, @ag_mike_d, and thanks for the detailed response.

Weirdest thing happened last night: ctrl-f started working again. I am now unable to reproduce my own issue!

Possibly related: I had to reboot my computer yesterday, for unrelated reasons. Near as I can tell, ctrl-f started working right after that.

I do recall past times when I rebooted, because something wonky was going on with things to do with the keyboard. On the other hand, ctrl-f was working properly, before yesterday's reboot, in other contexts; e.g., "Find in page ..." in Firefox and "forward-char" in Emacs.

Who knows. But anyway, thanks again. That page you linked to showed me some new tricks, so the posting still paid off.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @bjkeefe ! On behalf of my colleague Mike, you're very welcome 😄 thanks for letting us know that Ctrl + F is working well after a reboot. If the issue returns in future, don't hesitate to reach back out.

This discussion has been closed.