Frustrations with Autofill

Options
jacobthouseholder
jacobthouseholder
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm a new 1Password user, so I'm praying that there's a simple solution to this...

I need to click a form field and immediately have a list of address/email/phone/credit card suggestions. That's how Chrome autofill works. That's how LastPass works. 1Password should be suggesting to autofill information the instant I click on any form field. Activating the 1Password has added numerous layers of complexity to this process and I still haven't found a way to get autofill to work at all.

I've created an identity with name, phone, email, address... so it should be suggesting to autofill that data. It appears the 1Password process is:
1. Click a field on a form
2. Hit Command+\
3. Type the title of the identity I want to use
4. Click into the identity
5. Copy one line of data at a time and paste into the form...? (There should be an Autofill button somewhere)

Please tell me that isn't actually the process. That's 10x slower than just typing the information into the form myself. Why is this so complicated?

I need to autofill to work, and I need it to be lightning fast. I'm a web developer and I fill out a hundred forms every day. Clicking around through a vault to grab multiple rows of address information is a dealbreaker for me. If the 1Password autofill functionality can't be at least as fast as Chrome then I have to delete the browser extension and rely on Chrome autofill data, relying on 1Password only for infrequent queries.

Please, please tell me there's a simple solution to this.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Frustrations with Autofill

Comments

• jacobthouseholder
    jacobthouseholder
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ok, it looks like autofill is working for only the address field, but not name, email, phone, or card information. Any advice?

(To be clear, autofill WILL populate the name, email, and phone fields if there is an address field in the form. But clicking on name, email, phone, etc, will not trigger the autofill suggestion.)

• jacobthouseholder
    jacobthouseholder
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, now I'm getting Stripe-powered credit card fields to suggest autofill if I click on the card field twice. It looks like it attempts to load the first time and fails, but loads the second time. Still no luck with name, email, phone, or company fields.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @jacobthouseholder - welcome to 1Password 🙂

I'm sorry for the trouble you've run into filling Identity and Credit Card items, and I'll be happy to look into this further.

Currently, the autofill menu (the dropdown menu under a given website's field) will suggest 1Password items for Addresses, Emails, Credit Cards, and Logins/Passwords, and it is expected that it would not show up for Name and Phone Number, To fill all the information typically associated with a form (such as your examples), I'd suggest using the following method with 1Password:

1. Left click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar - or press Cmd + Shift + X.
    2. Using the mouse, or arrow keys, select the Identity/Credit card item you'd like to fill, then click 'Autofill' or press Enter on the item.

Please tell me that isn't actually the process. That's 10x slower than just typing the information into the form myself. Why is this so complicated?

Using Cmd + \ utilizes a feature of the 1Password app (desktop app) called Quick Access. We are working to improve filling Identity items from here, and I've passed your feedback along to the team here regarding that.

Ok, now I'm getting Stripe-powered credit card fields to suggest autofill if I click on the card field twice. It looks like it attempts to load the first time and fails, but loads the second time. Still no luck with name, email, phone, or company fields.

It's possible the website you're on may not be playing well with 1Password. I have a few questions on that, and the site screenshots you shared above as well:

• Could you share the URL for the site in which you're seeing Stripe-powered credit cards fields to fill after having to click twice?
    • Could you share the URL for the site in your above screenshots? (if different from above)
    • If you navigate to our testing site below, do credit cards fill as expected?

I look forward to hearing back!

This discussion has been closed.