Confusing message received from the App Store about an update to 1Password Version 2.9.0 for Safari

Options

This morning I received an update notice for my iMac regarding 1Password Version 2.9.0 for Safari. When I read further, it said "Users are now encouraged to import their existing passwords as part of the extension welcome experience". I'm not sure what that means. I've been using the 1Password extension for Safari for some time now, and my passwords are already there. Unless there's something I'm missing, it's already done. Please explain otherwise. So, do I just go ahead with the update?

I have a second question. In 1Password it refers to installing 1Password CLI. What is it, and should I do it? I may have already done it for all I know(LOL).

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jazzman!

When I read further, it said "Users are now encouraged to import their existing passwords as part of the extension welcome experience".

This is part of our release notes for the update. It just means that we have added a new Welcome prompt to the extension, which will show if it is newly installed. In that prompt, we encourage new users to import their existing logins to 1Password.

I would definitely recommend updating to the latest version of the 1Password for Safari extension. The new Welcome prompt would not appear for you since you already have the extension installed. Additionally, the import is completely optional. If any new users do not have to import existing passwords to 1Password, they can skip it.

I have a second question. In 1Password it refers to installing 1Password CLI. What is it, and should I do it?

1Password CLI integrates with the 1Password 8 desktop app so you can sign in on the command line. We have some more information about getting started with it here: https://developer.1password.com/docs/cli/get-started/

Do you wish to use 1Password from a command line terminal? If you don't have a use for it, you don't have to install 1Password CLI. If you do a use for it though, you can follow the guide above to set it up.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Joy_1P!

Thanks for your help. My Safari Extensions show that my version of the 1Password Extension is 2.9.0. So I guess I did it correctly. Let me know if not.

Regarding CLI, I'm afraid that's over my head. Generally, when using 1Password, I log in from the App on the Dock. Then I use the little 1Password icon on the toolbar at the top of Safari to access my saved websites and log in to them. I'm not sure how to sign in from the command line as you reference above. Please don't complicate matters for me any further unless it will make life easier for me(LOL).

Greatly appreciate your assistance!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman it sounds like all is good with the 1Password extension in Safari! As for 1Password CLI, I understand where you're coming from. Your current workflow sounds good, and there's no need at all for a complex setup.

I hope all is well going forward. Let us know if you need help with anything else!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P

Thanks so much for your help. All is good to go now. It's good to know the 1Password Team is always readily available to help when needed. I always receive prompt assistance.

• On behalf of @Joy_1P, you're welcome @jazzman! It's great to hear that all is good now. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.