Difficult to use in 1Password in browser at all

Options

I am seeing a number of issues and usability problems consistently when I try to use the 1Password browser extension. When I get to a password field in a website's signup page and I right-click on it, there are no options to generate a password for it, so instead I go to the 1Password extension icon, click it, and go to the generate password section to generate a new password. I copy-paste that password into the field and proceed to the next page, but 1Password doesn't ask me if I'd like to save the new info. So instead, I go to make a new "Login" entry for my 1Password account with the correct username, URL, and password. To do this, I have to login to the 1Password website every time, and there's no apparent way to remember the login info so that I don't have to do that. Then when I try to log in to the site, it doesn't show the relevant info for that URL, not even when I click the web extension icon and search for the entry I just added. Instead, I have to go back to the edit screen (entering my password once again), search for the entry, and copy-paste the password from there.

To recap, the set of issues is:

• No 1Password icon being shown in the password box, nor any option to generate a password for it when I right click on the box
  • After going to the next page, no prompting by 1Password to save that info for that site, instead I have to go to the 1Password site and enter that entry manually
  • No clear way to remember my password every time I want to add a new entry
  • Password entry not showing up when I go back to log in to that website, even when I search for its title. Instead, I have to go to the 1Password site where I added the entry, search for it there, and then copy-paste that

This set of issues has happened consistently for a number of signup on various web sites, and it makes it hard to use 1Password at all. I recently tried reinstalling the extension as I was seeing issues like this before, and that has not helped. Does anyone know how to fix any of the above issues?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: macOS 13.0
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @meisel, sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds like there could be a couple of different things happening. I'd like to ask some questions in order to determine what is going on:

No 1Password icon being shown in the password box, nor any option to generate a password for it when I right click on the box

If 1Password can detect the new password field, then it would suggest a new password when you click into it, like this: https://share.cleanshot.com/DQJDN06b.

If that's not happening, then it's possible that 1Password does not recognize the new password field. Could you share a link to a website where you've seen this behavior?

After going to the next page, no prompting by 1Password to save that info for that site, instead I have to go to the 1Password site and enter that entry manually

If you click on the suggestion, or fill a new password from the password generator, then the 1Password extension should immediately prompt for you to save the login. Here's an example of that: https://share.cleanshot.com/hKxw1nyL

Can you head over to our test form at https://fill.dev/form/registration-email and see if you get the same behavior as I did in the video?

No clear way to remember my password every time I want to add a new entry

Could you clarify if you are having a hard time remembering the new password for the login you've just created, or are you having a hard time remembering your Account Password for 1Password?

Password entry not showing up when I go back to log in to that website, even when I search for its title. Instead, I have to go to the 1Password site where I added the entry, search for it there, and then copy-paste that

If you lock and unlock the extension, does the new login then get suggested on the website? To lock the extension, right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select Lock. To unlock the extension, right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select Unlock.

Please let us know about all the above. Talk to you again soon.

This discussion has been closed.