Reveal password isn't working

Options
TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When I need to log in to my account using 1Password for Safari, the Reveal Password button isn't working. Nothing changes when I click it. Also, as soon as I enter the password, the browser takes me to a 1Password page that wants the secret key. I don't understand what this is trying to do. Does 1P for Safari assume I want to log into the 1Password web page? These behaviors pre-date the current OS.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.4 (81004033)
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: 13.4 Beta (22F5037d)
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• @TomWolsky

If you're talking about the shortcut you use to reveal in 1Password 8 for Mac, it will not function in 1Password for Safari. It sounds like 1Password for Safari is looking to align itself with 1Password.com not realizing you have 1Password 8 for Mac. Try this:

1Password 8 app:
    1. Turn off - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    2. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then disable Integrate with 1Password app.
    2 a. Sign out of any accounts you are signed into in the Safari browser. It will be at the bottom of the settings page mentioned in step 2.
    3. Quit the browser completely! A full quit, not a close or minimize to the dock.

1Password 8 app:
    4. Quit 1Password. Look in the menu bar and locate our helper right-click on it and select Quit.
    5. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    6. Turn On - 1Password > Preferences (Settings) > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser
    7. Open your browser.

1Password for Safari or other browser:
    8. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon, selecting Settings (General Tab) and then enable Integrate with 1Password app.
    9 . There should be no need to sign into any accounts within the browser. The interconnection between 1Password and 1Password in the browser should be all that is needed.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I'm still seeing the same behavior. I click on the button in the username sign in and the 1P extension drops down. I enter the password, but the Reveal Password doesn't function.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2023
    Options

@TomWolsky

Thanks. If you click the eye icon it should show you the entered data. It would not respond to the keypress. I have made note that you would like to see that functionality.

ref: PB-32373876

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. A misunderstanding. I click the eye icon, and there is no change. The password is not revealed.

• Now that's odd. It's working here. I see you are on the beta. That's about all I can see different between our setup. I hate to ask the old standby but have you restarted recently? It could very well be something within the beta.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. I'd booted less than an hour prior. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help.

• Hey @TomWolsky,

I have been doing some further testing and you're right, the reveal password button is not functioning as expected. It seems the behaviour is specific to 1Password for Safari.

I have filed an issue with our development team to look into this. In the meantime, 1Password for Safari should be sharing the lock state with your 1Password desktop app so I would suggest unlocking 1Password here first so you can reveal your password and then 1Password in Safari should be unlocked too.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, let us know if you have any questions.

ref: dev/core/core#21199

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Steph.

• You're welcome @TomWolsky, sorry for the disruption.

This discussion has been closed.