Differences between personal and family account?

Options
jamike
jamike
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Families

I'm curious about the functional difference between having an account and sharing the account with someone else versus having a family account with both people having a different login.

I'm coming from a situation where previously my wife and I were storing passwords and other vital information in an iCloud note on an account we shared between devices. This had been working well for a dozen or more years until the note was accidentally cleared and automatically removed from the account by the Notes app because it was an empty and unnamed note.

What benefit would we see from using a family account vs a personal account we both logged into?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jamike,

When using a 1Password family account, each family member starts with two vaults:

• Everyone in your family has their own Private vault. You can’t see what’s in theirs, and they can’t see what’s in yours. Store things like your email login and social media passwords in your Private vault.

• 1Password Families includes a Shared vault for items everyone in your family needs. It’s a great place for your Wi-Fi password and Netflix login, for example.

You can also create extra shared vaults - So you might want a vault to share with a friend, another one to share with a spouse, and another to share with children or parents.

Think of the 1Password Family account as an apartment complex: each member you invite to join your family will live in their own apartment (have their own account, Secret Key, and account password), but still live in the same apartment complex (be a part of the same family account).

We have an article detailing more about 1Password Families here: About 1Password Families

You can also recover your family members when using a 1Password family account, should they loose access to their account for any reason - it's important to note that this feature is not available within an individual account.

This discussion has been closed.