Is there a PKG or DMG form of 1Password 8?

Options
davesegreto
davesegreto
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Business and Teams

View 1Password's Approved Answer

PKGs and DMGs are much easier to work with when deploying via a management system, such as Jamf.

I personally oversee about a thousand machines. I'm guessing there are others like me.
I could go through the process of taking the installer-App and converting it into a Package and testing it and all that, but... I mean... we pay money for this product. I'd be much more comfortable with an officially released object.

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.x
Referrer: forum-search:PKG

Comments

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member
    Options

Me too.👍

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @davesegreto and @TonyDennis, thanks for this question!

We're planning to follow up with an MDM-friendly (.pkg) installer in the not-too-distant future. It's on the roadmap to be looked at in the weeks ahead, but we don't have an ETA just yet. Thanks for letting us know this is something you're interested in - we appreciate the chance to understand your use case and how we can make 1Password maximally useful for you.

• Ben
    Options

To add to what Peter said... I'd highly encourage anyone who finds themselves in this situation to reach out to their account manager. We'd like to make sure we're headed in the right direction here, and so it would be good to understand the specific needs anyone might have. But yes, a PKG is on the radar. 😃

Thanks!

Ben

• davesegreto
    davesegreto
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome. Thank you! We aren't in a huge rush and can wait for the official release.

• Thank you @davesegreto - and we'll look forward to providing it as soon as we can. 👍

• mbcoastal
    mbcoastal
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this?

• Hi @mbcoastal:

Nothing just yet to share, but as Ben mentioned above, it's absolutely on our radar.

Jack

• tassum
    tassum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

I would also need a PKG file for installation via MS Endpoint Manager - do you know if we will see this this year ?

Thx
    Tom

• Ben
    Options

@tassum

I hesitate to give any definitive timelines but it is something that is being actively worked on and we hope to be able to share soon. I would recommend reaching out to your account manager to make sure they're aware of your needs in this regard so we can get it to you ASAP.

Thanks!

Ben

• mishrarajeev2
    mishrarajeev2
    Community Member
    Options

Hello team,

Is it possible to drop an email to your customer whenever it's available for MDM deployement?

• @mishrarajeev2

I recommend that you reach out directly to your account manager so that they can ensure that we're aware of your specific needs and so that they can determine how best to keep you updated with our developments in this area.

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

1Password Approved Answer

Hello folks,

I'm happy to share that you can now deploy and manage 1Password 8 for Mac with MDM and a PKG installer. You can find more information here:

And the PKG installer itself can be found here:

Thank you again for your patience! 🙂

-Dave

• feedcom
    feedcom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

we were happy to see that there is finally a 1Password 8 package available for delivery via MDM. We also implemented it right away yesterday and played out the package via JAMF Now Plus. At first everything looked good too, the installation worked company wide.

But this morning there was a nasty surprise: 1password 8 wanted to run an update. An update that required the authorization of an administrator. This caused some commotion in our IT department, as almost all employees called in at the same time to get the administrator's support.

Can you change the update behavior so that for packages played out via MDM, updates do not require an administrator. Because otherwise the whole thing makes no sense. Or is there any other way to solve this problem?

By the way, this works perfectly with other programs. We install e.g. Teams or Chrome company-wide via a package. Updates for users run without an administrator having to authenticate them.

Henning

• Hello @feedcom,

When deploying 1Password 8 for Mac, you may also wish to use Mobile device management to disable the automatic updates on the deployed 1Password apps. This will prevent 1Password from downloading new updates, and prompting your team members for admin credentials to install the updates. You could then deploy updates whenever you are ready fro your team to use a new version of 1Password.

• The preference domain for 1Password 8 for Mac is com.1password.1password.
    • The key to configured is updates.autoUpdate and it should be set to false if you don't want 1Password to update automatically.
    • Review our About mobile device management for other options you can configure.

Since your team may already have pending updates to install, the updates will need to be installed with admin credentials, but the MDM setting will prevent future updates from being downloaded.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

• feedcom
    feedcom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Scott,

thank you for your answer. So we need to deploy every update via our MDM. This means uploading a new package for every update?
    Where do you publish the latest versions of the package?
    Is the link provided in this article always linked to the latest package? On your releases page, you only provide the latest versions for self-installing.

Thank you.
    Henning

• Hi @feedcom,

This means uploading a new package for every update?

That's correct.

Where do you publish the latest versions of the package?
    Is the link provided in this article always linked to the latest package? On your releases page, you only provide the latest versions for self-installing.

Our guide to Deploy 1Password for Mac and Windows has links to download the MSI and PKG versions of 1Password. Be sure to download them again any time a new update as released, since the installers bundle a version of the app and do not download the latest version as part of the installation process.

You can also download them directly using these links:

Cheers,

• MicahKing
    MicahKing
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

Is there a way to check/verify the downloaded PKG is the latest version? Currently, we are unsure if we are truly updating the latest version to our MDM for deploying :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Best,
    Micah

• Ben
    Options

Hey @MicahKing

As of writing, v8.10.4 is the latest stable version of 1Password for Mac. You can find that and other release information at https://releases.1password.com/

I hope that helps!

Ben

• MicahKing
    MicahKing
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben

Thanks for that info. I was curious if there will be any version info available in the PKG itself (i.e. file comment, "where from", or other) similar to how Google Chrome PKG's contain version info?

Thanks,
    Micah

• Hello Micah,

At this time, the version information in the PKG installer isn't simple to identify, so you may wish to rename the file if you are storing it. The latest version will always be available at https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.pkg, and a specific version can be requested by appending the version number, as shown here:

https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password-8.10.4.pkg

At this time, 1Password only packages PKG and MSI installers for production releases of 1Password, so not every version will be available this way.

Would you be able to share a screenshot of how the Google Chrome PKG contains version information? I'd like to share this with the team, in case it's something we are able to adopt as well.

Thank you,

• MicahKing
    MicahKing
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ScottS1P,

Thank you for the follow-up and additional info! The version append is something I will note for our team.

I checked into the Google Chrome PKG, and it appears they no longer include within the PKG file. Previously, Google Chrome PKG included the version info in the Comments field.

I do have an example (see attachment) of how it is included for the Zoom Client for Meetings IT PKG for your team's reference. Thanks!

• Hello @MicahKing,

Thanks for sharing that with me. I've shared this with our team for their consideration, but don't currently have any information that suggests if or when we may be able to implement this. For now, your best bet may be to manually change the download URL to request a specific version of 1Password. If it's helpful, you can find the version numbers on our releases page, but don't include the dash or any numbers after it.

For example:

• https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password-8.10.4.pkg is correct
    • https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password-8.10.4-10.pkg won't work, because of the -10 at the end.

We appreciate your contribution to 1Passwords evolution. Let me know if you have an other questions or information about your use case.

ref: PB-32413967

• MicahKing
    MicahKing
    Community Member
    Options

This will work great for us at this time. Thank you very much, @ScottS1P!

• It's my pleasure, @MicahKing. Have a wonderful weekend.

This discussion has been closed.