suggestion: authenticator app should require finger print

Options
reagar
reagar
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Windows

I love the built in authenticator app, but would like to see it require a finger print or a PIN. There is a danger of someone finding your open laptop and being able to sign into your accounts and use 2fa without a second security check. Requiring a fingerprint (windows hello or android fingerprint) or a PIN would add a bit more safety to the procedure.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:built in authenticator app

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @reagar! I understand that you're concerned about someone finding your open laptop and being able to sign in to your accounts, so you'd like to be challenged for your biometrics / PIN code when filling 2FA for a website. I can definitely understand how this could be useful in the situation you've specified, and I've gone ahead and filed a feature request with our Product team on your behalf.

In the meantime, I would recommend getting into the habit of either locking your device itself or manually locking 1Password (with Ctrl + Shift + L or by right clicking the icon > Lock) whenever you need to step away. Alternately, shortening the auto-lock timer may also be helpful here.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback 😄

ref: 32477363

• reagar
    reagar
    Community Member
    Options

One website suggested using 1password 2fa for for lesser important sites, but using another authentication app such as Authie for sites/apps that require maximum protection (Google, Banking, email etc.)
    Thus separating the password vault and the 2fa by two distinct security levels.
    I may take this step but would prefer to let 1password handle it all.
    Hopefully 1Password engineers will consider applying a PIN or fingerprint security to the 2fa feature
    I do think 1password is a wonderful product and look forward to future updates.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Rick

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @reagar, thanks for getting back to me, and for your kind words! I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying 1Password.

I've added this additional information about accounts with varying security importance to the feature request on file for our Product team to see, as it really helps us to better understand user needs when considering implementing features like this.

If you have any further feedback or questions, let us know 😄

This discussion has been closed.