1P extension in Firefox not opening

Options
iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I followed the instructions for installing the 1P extension into Firefox and adding it to the toolbar. However, clicking on the toolbar button brings up a dialog to "open 1P". Clicking on that does nothing. The behavior does not change if 1P is unlocked separately. The lock icon still shows in the toolbar. Clicking in login fields in Firefox does not invoke any 1P menus. I have quit/relaunched Firefox and 1P several times and rebooted the Mac once.
Perhaps I am missing something?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: 2.9
OS Version: 10.14
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:Firefox extension not working

Comments

• Hey @iphoneuser,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser, it sounds like it may be having a hard time communicating with your 1Password app.

Before we go any further I would suggest updating to 1Password 8 so you can enjoy all of our new features and fixes and it may well also help to get things back on track.

Let us know how you get on and we can continue to troubleshoot if needed.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I am stuck on 1P version 7 with no plans to upgrade. 1Pv7 works fine with Safari.

• Hey @iphoneuser,

I understand, just so you know 1Password 7 is no longer supported so we recommend upgrading at your earliest convenience. That being said can you give the below steps a try to see if we can get things back on track in Firefox:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Firefox by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Firefox and test if it is working properly.

Let us know how you get on.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I understand about version 7.
    I tried downloading the 1P extension and installing from with Firefox. It is version 2.9.0 and I could not get it to work as it is stuck asking for an account login, which I do not have. If I try "add to Firefox" from the 1P menubar (mini) I am taken to a support page urging me to upgrade. At this point I don't know the exact steps but when I have managed to get the extension to show in the Firefox menubar, I see the behavior described above (clicking "open" does nothing). I also tried the beta version with no luck.
    Do you know that the extension (I guess v2.9.0) will work with Firefox (latest) and 1P v7? Or am I wasting my time?
    Thanks for your time.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

I finally dowloaded the classic extension from here (https://app-updates.agilebits.com). That appears to be working. Also updated to 1P v7.9.9 (but the extension was not working in Firefox until I downloaded the "classic" version).

• Hey @iphoneuser,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The 1Password Classic extension was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our modern extension, 1Password in the browser, is in active development: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

The latest version requires a membership and as you have suggested does not work with older standalone vaults. I recommend sending an email to our support team at support+tradein@1password.com so that they can look at how you're currently using 1Password and advise on the best way forward.

This discussion has been closed.