Safari is blocking the 1Password extension

Options
Doud_FtC
Doud_FtC
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The extension's icon disappeared from my Safari menu bar today and the Extensions preference window displays this message:

This seems quite serious, at least from Apple's perspective. Is there a fix, other than forcing Safari to allow the extension to be enabled?

My system:
macOS 13.2
1Password 8.10.4
Safari 16.3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Doud_FtC! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password for Safari disappeared from your browser. The message that you're seeing is normal and doesn't mean that Safari is blocking the extension. It simply explains the permissions that 1Password for Safari needs in order to work. The 1Password extension requires access to your browsing history in order to know which website you're visiting so that it knows which login item to suggest. Without this permission 1Password for Safari wouldn't know which website's login information to suggest and fill into the browser. You can read more about browser permissions here: About 1Password browser permissions

Regarding 1Password for Safari not being available in your browser, is the extension currently enabled? Check the following:

If the extension is enabled and you still don't see 1Password in Safari then please try the steps in this guide: If you don't see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar

-Dave

• Doud_FtC
    Doud_FtC
    Community Member
    Options

The extension was still installed. Safari decided to uncheck that box and it disappeared from the Toolbar. I went to the extensions section of Safari preferences to make sure it had not been uninstalled and found it disabled along with the warning, which I do not remember seeing before. Safari allows me to enable, but the warning kind of freaked me out.

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the permissions information.

• Hey @Doud_FtC,

Thank you for getting back to us. I appreciate you being cautious, please let us know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.