possible to disable "down-arrow" key?

Options
Repoman21
Repoman21
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Many web pages provide drop down response options for form fields. For example, in Basecamp when I attempt to add a user named "Michael" to a project, I start typing the first few letters of their name and dropdown options appear for all available Michaels. See screenshot.

The 1Password browser extension prevents me from using the down-arrow on my keyboard to select the appropriate Michael. Instead, the down-arrow key brings up a 1Password popup window.

This behavior interferes with accessibility, because it requires me to use my mouse to select the option I am trying to select. It's also rather annoying. I've described one specific example, but this issue occurs multiple times every day on a variety of websites.

It would be really nice if there were a way to disable the down-arrow key, so that it doesn't activate 1Password. I am using Firefox on a Windows computer, but I believe this behavior on webpages like Basecamp (again, just one example) is consistent across browsers and OS.

Thanks for reading.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @Repoman21 - Thanks for sharing this insight here 🙂

I understand where you're coming from here, and appreciate you taking the time to share all the detail - it really helps. I'm happy to share this feedback to our Product team as we make improvement considerations for the future. I have a few more questions on your experience, if you don't mind:

• Regarding the field 'Who do you want to add to this project' - what specific suggestions come up from 1Password when you press the down arrow?
    • Could you share examples of any other websites where you're seeing this behaviour?
    • Does the 1Password icon/suggestion ever show on a field where it is not expected (or it doesn't make sense for us to suggest filling)?

As a workaround, you can temporarily disable 1Password on given page by using these steps:

1. Right click in a blank area on the website.
    2. 1Password - Password Manager > Hide on this page

This will hide the 1Password icon in the field, and should allow you to use the down arrow. It will only apply to the specific page you're on, and if you restart your browser, you'd need to re-enable that setting on each page it's useful for. I realize this isn't ideal, but I'm hopeful it provides a bit of relief.

Let us know how you get on!

• Repoman21
    Repoman21
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips on a workaround to temporarily disable 1Password.

You asked for other examples. One is shown in the attached screenshot1. This is not exactly the same situation, because this example includes a conflict with my browser's autocomplete whereas the original example did not. However I'm sharing it in the interest of highlighting similar undesirable behavior.

I am trying to authenticate with TheAtlantic.com using my email address. You can see that two autocomplete options are suggested by my browser. Ideally I would use the down-arrow key to select the second email address.

If I am not logged into 1Password, when I hit the down-arrow key a large 1Password pop-up asks me to authenticate.

If I am logged into 1Password, when I hit the down-arrow key one time it selects the first email address, but then when I hit the down-arrow key a second time a small pop-up appears immediately under the field and asks me if I would like to save the partially entered email address in 1Password.

As a user, my preference would be for 1Password to be less aggressive. Especially when 1Password is not logged in, I would prefer it to wait for me to ask it fill in a value, rather than proactively intercept me when I attempt to select a dropdown value suggested by a website (the example from my original post) or an autocomplete value suggested by my browser (this current example).

Thanks for reading.

• Hi @Repoman21

Thanks for providing the additional context as to how we can improve your 1Password experience.

Although I cannot guarantee if or when this change will be implemented, I've forwarded all of your feedback to our product team so that they are aware of the changes in 1Password's behaviour you would like to see.

In the meantime, you can keep up with all of our releases here: 1Password Releases

Let me know if you have any questions!

ref: PB-32512150

This discussion has been closed.