Why is it safe for 1password to autofill my master password when signing into 1password online?

Options

Why is it safe for 1password to autofill my master password when signing into 1password online? When I log into 1password surely it shouldn't autofill my password? If someone else uses my laptop they can breach all my vault effortlessly. How do I change this setting?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why is it safe for 1password to autofill my master password when signing into 1password online?

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

It can only autofill if you unlocked the browser plugin previously, so you entered your password before, so it's safe. If you don't want people using your laptop autofilling your credentials, you need to lock 1Password when you switch users, which you can do manually or define automatic locking of the browser plugin. In case you also have the desktop app installed, you find the lock settings in the desktop app instead.

• Thanks for writing to us @slmcquaid

I'm very sorry for the delay in our response.

Like @Tertius3 mentioned, as long as 1Password is locked on your device, it won't fill any of your passwords.

I would like to add that the browser extension's lock settings will only be controlled by the desktop app if app integration is enabled. You can verify this with the following steps:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and choose "Settings".
    2. In the "General" section, make sure "Integrate with 1Password app" is toggled on.

If you would like more info on how to configure when 1Password will lock automatically, we have a great guide you can read: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Let me know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.