Credit card autofill fails at walgreens.com Review & Submit Order

Options

There is no autofill though I pull open the credit card in the browser extension.

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: 7.9.9
OS Version: macOS 17.6.3
Browser:_ Safari 16.3

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Tonetony, I'm afraid that we no longer support 1Password 7 and are extremely limited in helping here. That said, we can take a quick look to see if anything jumps out.

I did check on the walgreens.com website and don't see where there would be any issues with filling a credit card item while checking out. I do want to note that the option to fill a credit card item only appears on the Payment page. The Review & Submit Order page does not ask for payment info. Are you seeing something different? Could you share a screenshot of where you're trying to fill? Make sure that no sensitive info is displayed in that screenshot.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I realize now I wasn't clear. It's that the autofill feature leads to errors.

I put something in cart and go through checkout, which takes many steps as you get prompted for various things along the way. Ultimately reach Payment information screen, which is where I use CMD+\, select Credit Cards in the extension, find the card I want to use, and click the AutoFill button. Instead of it filling, I get errors on the page. Now, the fact that the web page responds with errors suggests 1Password is trying to do something, which the site rejects.

Normally I use Safari on Mac, but for this screencap I used Firefox, since Safari itself doesn't work properly on some sites. The errors are the same - all the input fields highlighted in pink, with error text, as you see in the screencap:

I haven't switched to 1Password8 yet, because of the way I have heard that it implements Search. I admit I don't keep up with the latest status on this, but from time to time I check and see people still complaining about the way search was changed. Sometimes I read that 1Password might change the behavior to be more like in 1Password7 - but, has it?

I use 1Password as a secure repository for lots of information besides login information - obviously you know people do this, since each item has lots of predefined fields, and we can create our own sections and fields. So when I am in need of information, numerous times a day, I rely on typing 3 or 4 letters in the Search bar in the desktop app to surface a short list of matches, and then select the one I need. I don't have to remember the exact name of the item - all I need to do is recognize it in the short list of matches. My understanding is that Search doesn't work like this in 1Password8. If it does, I'd upgrade.

Is there a place where I can read up on how Search works in 1Password8?

• Hey @Tonetony,

I must apologise for the delay in our response.

Can you let me know which version of 1Password in your browser you are using in Firefox? If you click into the card number field do you see a suggestion from 1Password below that you can click on to fill? If yes, do you still see the same errors?

As for search in 1Password 8 I think the easiest way for you to see how it works would be to try it out. We'd welcome any feedback that you have on it so we can look to improve it in future updates.

Finally, in regards to the behaviour you are expecting with search, can you give me an example of an item and the search term you'd would type to find it and I can try to test it on my end?

Thanks!

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Firefox version is 4.7.5.90 last updated Aug 15, 2019. Seems old, but checking for updates it find nothing newer.

Clicking in the field does nothing, but I'm not sure that works anywhere in Firefox. I've just tried it in a few other places. I very rarely use Firefox. Maybe there is some option that needs to be enabled in the FF Extension or in 1Password that I would need to adjust.

Even for Safari, I disable the inline menu in 1Password preferences. The inline data has always been intrusive, frequently covers areas of web pages that I need to see, and frequently pops up in irrelevant contexts. I am perfectly happy using CMD+\ and find inline to be a trivial efficiency in the best of cases, and generally annoying.

So for this test, I enabled inline for Safari - I enabled "Show inline menu in Safari" and the sub-option, "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field." The first ten times I clicked in the credit card field, the 1Password circle icon simply flickered. Eventually I was able to get my list of credit cards but only by directly clicking on the 1Password icon itself. When I select a credit card from the list, I get a pop-up "Click OK to fill your 1Password item on www.walgreens.com" - a message I've seen before, and I don't know if it's generated by Safari or 1Password. I click OK. And then I get the same pink and red error indications I've shown above in the screencap.

As for search examples, for instance I have these separate 1Password items, which are a mix of password, login, and software license items.

Crashplan archive key for restore
    Crashplan License
    Crashplan Pro Account
    Crashplan Support

I type in "cras" and I see all 4 of them (I also see 3 other irrelevant entires, but 7 is quite fine).

Or, I have a number of accounts at BofA, and I just type "bof" and they all pop up. Along with a lot of other stuff, but the "Bs" are on top so I see them all easily

And so forth. While I have around 400 items in 1Password, I always find anything I need by typing 3 of 4 letters, and 1Password automatically surfaces and displays matching search results as I type, without my having to take any further action. I. can then eyeball the short list it constructed, and click the one of interest.

(And isn't that how search engines all work these days? Autocomplete as you type, letter by letter.)

My impression is that 1Password8 doesn't work that way. If I try it, is it easy and reliable to uninstall it and reinstall 1Password 7? I don't normally try to downgrade software - I find it to be an unreliable process that can lead to corruption of preferences or libraries.

• Hey @Tonetony,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Firefox version is 4.7.5.90 last updated Aug 15, 2019. Seems old, but checking for updates it find nothing newer.

It sounds like you are using the Classic version of 1Password in your browser. 1Password Classic was last updated in 2019. It was built on older technologies and will not be compatible with future updates to web browsers. Our recommend removing it and installing our latest version from here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Even for Safari, I disable the inline menu in 1Password preferences. The inline data has always been intrusive, frequently covers areas of web pages that I need to see, and frequently pops up in irrelevant contexts. I am perfectly happy using CMD+\ and find inline to be a trivial efficiency in the best of cases, and generally annoying.

I'm sorry to hear that you are finding the inline menu disruptive, do you have any feedback on how we can improve this which I can pass on to our team for consideration in future updates?

When I select a credit card from the list, I get a pop-up "Click OK to fill your 1Password item on www.walgreens.com" - a message I've seen before, and I don't know if it's generated by Safari or 1Password. I click OK. And then I get the same pink and red error indications I've shown above in the screencap.

I have created an account and followed the same steps and I'm struggling to replicate the behaviour you are seeing. Can you open Safari and in the top left hand corner next to the apple choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences) and click on the extensions tab. Which version of 1Password do you see enabled here?

In addition, can you follow the same steps on our test website to fill your credit card and let me know if it fills here: https://fill.dev/form/credit-card-simple.

And so forth. While I have around 400 items in 1Password, I always find anything I need by typing 3 of 4 letters, and 1Password automatically surfaces and displays matching search results as I type, without my having to take any further action. I. can then eyeball the short list it constructed, and click the one of interest.

I have done a test to show you how search works in my screenshot below. I have multiple test items saved in my 1Password and on typing the letters 'tes' without hitting enter or taking any other action these are the results that are returned:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.