Can I use two password managers, chrome and 1password

Can I use both the chrome password manager and 1password manager on my Mac. If so what should I do so there is no conflict. I have just installed 1password but not downloaded the application on my mac. I can go the the 1password website and login with the invitation sent to me by my administrator. I added the chrome extension but cannot login to it as the password is incorrect(even though I know it is correct)

1Password Version: 10.01.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 13.3
Browser:_ chrome
Referrer: forum-search:using both chrome password manager and 1password

Comments

• Hey @larrysleonard12,

We suggest using one password manager to avoid interference and to store all of your data in one secure place. That being said it is possible to use both side by side, here's how:

1. Right-click 1Password's icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under "General" turn off the "make 1Password the default password manager" option.
    3. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill and enable the details you would like Chrome to fill.

As for not being able to sign in to 1Password in your browser, are you seeing an error message at all?

Can you let me know the steps you are taking to sign in?

• larrysleonard12
    larrysleonard12
    Community Member

The signin issue was resolved by updating from 1password 7 to 1password8. Also want to comment. Be careful if keychain and safari are storing and auto filling passwords. Should you continue with this approach make sure that any change in one of the password managers is all made to the other two or you will be having trouble loging in into a web site. Other then that I assume that all three could be active (1password, keychain, and safari and or chrome). I personally shut down saving of passwords to all except 1password. Can you comment on this approach

• Hey @larrysleonard12,

You are totally right, we recommend solely using one password manager to keep everything in once place and to make it easier to manage data across both as you have described.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• butgghcdg
    butgghcdg
    Community Member

I'm not sure how you can even not use two password managers. The 1password autofill is extremely buggy and hardly ever works in any browser on any Web site. I have absolutely no choice but to use two password managers: 1password for storage of passwords and the browser password managers for autofill. The 1password autofill is useless.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @butgghcdg, that doesn't sound like the right behavior from the extension. I'd like to ask a few questions to determine what is happening:

• What browser are you using?
    • Do you see the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar?
    • What steps are you taking to open and fill your logins?
    • What specific unexpected behavior are you seeing? For example, are you getting an error message when saving a login? Is the extension stuck loading or is it unresponsive?
    • Does the issue happen on a specific website? If so, what is the URL to that website?

We look forward to hearing back.

This discussion has been closed.