“Hide my Email" integration

Options
JuCos
JuCos
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if a "Hide my Email" integration was in the works (I've seen a few old threads on the subject but nothing recent).
I guess apple doesn't offer an API to developers for this feature but maybe it could be possible to monitor the change of an email address on an existing account in Safari, once the new "hidden" address would be filled in: 1Password would offer to update the corresponding ID.
Hope to see this possibility coming ;)

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700090)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hey @JuCos :

1Password has teamed up with FastMail for email masking: Masked Email

Here's a link to our support guide on how to use 1Password to create and manage Masked Emails in Fastmail

Alvin

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Alvin.L_1P
    I did hear about this integration!
    The advantages of "Hide my Email" for Apple users is that it's already integrated in the OS and doesn't require a subscription in addition to iCloud+.
    This solution would make sense in parallel with Fastmail

• @JuCos

Thank you for the suggestion! I agree that an integration with Apple's "Hide My Email" would be pretty groovy. With Fastmail we're taking advantage of their support for an open technology known as JMAP, I'm not sure if there's an equivalent technology/API available from the Apple side but I've forwarded your suggestion to our developers so that they can investigate further.

You can read more about JMAP and how we built our integration with Fastmail here: How and why we built Masked Email with JMAP – an open API standard

And you can read more about masked email addresses in 1Password here: Masked Email

For what it's worth, I've personally used both "Hide my Email" and Fastmail's masked email addresses and I love the fact that I can generate and manage my Fastmail masked email address from any device and any browser, not just Safari and my Apple devices. I'm also able to use a custom domain for masked email addresses with Fastmail which I find very useful. But I definitely understand the convenience of "Hide My Email" being included with iCloud+.

Thank you again for the great idea! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-223

ref: dev/core/core#10417

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P for your reply, I'll read all about it, it sounds exciting!
    Thanks for the feedback to the developers ;)

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

• robodon
    robodon
    Community Member
    Options

Any plans for adding hide my email on 1P instead of Fastmail which I find very expensive?

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

+1,
    I’ve post a topic on this, it could be awesome!
    https://1password.community/discussion/129063/hide-my-email-integration

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@robodon @JuCos

It's been requested by a few users. I not aware of the logistic or if it's possible but I'll pass along your wishes to the team.

ref: IDEA-I-223

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I was hoping this Apple Hide my email is be added also instead of Fastmail. It all in line with the 1P strategy because Hide my email is for mac users, with Fastmail both windows and mac can be used.

Fastmail has there servers is in the east coast of the US (Five Eyes country), for Europe citizens 90+ ms latency and no servers in EU so your data in the US :( I hoped AB teamed up with mail provider that has datacenters in different continents and with lower subscription prices.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Fastmail has there servers is in the east coast of the US (Five Eyes country)

Apple probably has servers in the US as well…

As an EU citizen, I don’t notice any lag in using Fastmail (‘s web GUI).

Nevertheless, additional support for Apple’s solution would be nice for many users, but I don’t think Apple offers an API to do this?

• Ben
    Options

Nevertheless, additional support for Apple’s solution would be nice for many users, but I don’t think Apple offers an API to do this?

Indeed; as far as I'm aware, there are no APIs available that would allow us to offer an integration.

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I am finding Hide My Mail to be really helpful, I'm an Apple user for all my devices so would not want to have to subscribe to something else.

I must admit I just assumed 1P would catch-up in due course and offer to add the Hide My Mail addresses to 1P, it will be quite disappointing if it is never coming :-(

• dragknucle
    dragknucle
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

It sounds like we need to petition Apple to allow third party integration with the Hide My Email service. I doubt they would be open to this though because a shady third part could defeat the purpose of the service by exposing the identity of the person masking their email. Perhaps they would partner with a select few companies such as 1PW though... I have no idea where to make such a service request though.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I looked at this over the weekend find that it does seem to work with 1P.

I've just visited a random shopping site and found the subscribe box and opted for Hide My Mail. Once I had accepted the Apple offered email address and it was entered into the subscribe box I had a save in 1P option which I chose. 1P then successfully added the new email address against the correct website.

I'm sure this needs to be explored further.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to wanting a service not restricted to Fastmail. Great thing about Apple's is that the backend email can be hosted anywhere. Unless I'm mistaken, this Fastmail integration requires that the backend email be hosted by Fastmail. Right? There's also the open source service "SimpleLogin" that I'm sure 1Password could use as a backend for this capability.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your additional feedback on this.

@jbhardman:

Yes, using Masked Email with Fastmail requires that you're using a Fastmail email account.

@iwaddo:

While you can definitely create Hide My Email addresses and save them in 1Password, you won't be able to manage them directly from 1Password.

Jack

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P

Hi, that is a good point and managing the addresses from 1P is not something I'd considered.

So far it has not been a problem and I'm struggling to think of a use case that would be a major issue for me though I am sure there will be one :-)

Seamless integration would ideal at some point.

Regards

• userjorge
    userjorge
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Granted maybe the blocker is Apple not providing an API to allow for this integration. I notice that "Hide My Email" is very hiden within Settings > iCloud > Hide My Email. Not very friendly for neither users or developers.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

My #1 request from AgileBits. Don't think it's going to happen because of their integration with FastMail

• Hey @userjorge, @mia,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it on to our product team.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

ref: PB31218731

• turboannunaki
    turboannunaki
    Community Member
    Options

There's already a chrome extension for this and the creator has posted it on GitHub as well. So it is possible to integrate. It'll be great if 1Password can offer this feature alongside Fastmail as well.

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    Options

@turboannunaki
    Do you have a link to share for the Chrome extension?

• JuCos
    JuCos
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Ok, I think I have found the GitHub page.
    Nice work from the developer!
    Would love to see it in 1Password

[Link removed by 1Password support as we can't verify that it is safe to use - Moderator]

• @turboannunaki

I've let the team know that you'd like to see 1Password support Apple's "Hide my Email" as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-32041937

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

+1 hidemyemail support. But Apple doesn't care enough to make the service usable on their end so I can't imagine they'd make it work better through an API. I went from Fastmail to icloud cause I couldn't afford Fastmail anymore, but hidemyemail is just TERRIBLE in comparison. Why in the world can't I send an email from a previously created hidemyemail address? It's junk! I only came here because generating the emails through 1Password would be such a help.

• Hey @virtualbartek,

I have passed this feedback on to the team, let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB32550282

This discussion has been closed.