One Time Password for a Microsoft Account

Options
tiFusionJeunesse
tiFusionJeunesse
Community Member

I wish I could use 1Password for passwordless authentication on a Microsoft Account.
Unfortunately, 1Password does not recognize the QR Code QR Code nor the URI ms-msa://code=M.R3_SN1.2.d444e057...4c8f9523d4222382fe76&expires=-404311043

1Password Version: 8.10.4 (81004032)
Extension Version: 2.9.0
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:ms-msa

Comments

• Hi there @tiFusionJeunesse

1Password supports industry-standard TOTP (time-based one-time passwords), which are usually six-digit numbers generated every 30 seconds.

Microsoft are using their own custom implementation of one-time passwords, which don't conform to the industry standard, so 1Password can't generate them since it doesn't know how.

If you can add a standard TOTP app to your Microsoft account for two-factor authentication, you'll be able to use 1Password for that purpose. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• tiFusionJeunesse
    tiFusionJeunesse
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thank you, @GreyM1P , for the info.
    I use 1Password for AzureAD accounts. They indeed use TOPT passwords:
    otpauth://totp/Fusion%20Jeunesse...?secret=rstwn...&issuer=Microsoft
    Microsoft accounts follow another standard, if any. Apparently, Fido keys can be used with Microsoft accounts. Could 1Password emulate them?

• @tiFusionJeunesse

Hardware security keys, such as the one you might use to sign in to your Microsoft account, have to be a physical device. They can't be emulated in software, so 1Password can't replace them.

Passkeys, on the other hand, are purely software and work in a similar way – the passkey identifies you to the server, but also verifies that it's talking to the server it's expecting. Passkeys are still very new and are only supported in a few places right now, so although this doesn't help with your Microsoft account today, it's worth keeping an eye on how things develop.

You can find out more about using passkeys with 1Password here: Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.