1Password 7 - 7.9.833 "Dismiss" button of the 1Password 8 advertisement does not close.

Hello,

in the update released yesterday (7.9.833) with the "IMPROVEMENTS" "more information about 1Password 8 for Windows being available in various spots" = crappy advertising, the "Dismiss" button of the Sidebar 1P8 Ad does not work. The window does not close when you click the button, even after restarting 1P mini.

https://ibb.co/ngXRhwF

(This is of course not a bug but a feature to annoy users even more with the 1Password 8 ads. If you are not even able to create a simple button to close a popup these days... :/ )

1Password Version: 7.9.833
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member

Same problem here, multiple installations.

(Yes, it happened only a few times before ...)

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member

By the way: It even shows the control (the small arrow to "collapse") inverted, at least I would not expected an "up"-arrow to collapse and and "down"-arrow to expand. So, that's a bug.

• quazilogic
    quazilogic
    Community Member

Same issue. I find it really annoying when I see a button that does not work, especially to get rid of advertising I find unnecessary. I uninstalled it and reverted back to version 7.9.832. I downloaded it from the changelog and disabled automatic updates. Now I just have to deal with the occasional update reminder pop-up at least until I see another update to the app....

• snnrman
    snnrman
    Community Member
    edited April 2023

Same. Why the heck update app just to make it worse?

• darya9p2ubru
    darya9p2ubru
    Community Member
    edited May 2023

Of course, to make even more money. That you can't manage to answer or fix this in 3 days is [profanity removed]. What can be fixed in a few minutes is again stretched to the maximum. It's probably time to switch to a competitor...

I can see it coming: Some [insult removed] will reappear in tears and post a condolence message about how sorry he is and how it's not supposed to be this way. Everything so desired!

[edit: Removed profanity and insults from the post. Please remember this is a family-friendly community. -Moderator]

• Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that you're running into an issue with the sidebar in 1Password 7 for Windows. I've checked with our developers and the only thing that was updated with the sidebar was the icon in the upgrade notification. We've opened an internal issue to investigate further if that change may have broken anything or if this issue is unrelated to the latest update.

As a note, 1Password 7 is no longer being regularly updated (aside from major bugs and security issues) and I recommend updating to 1Password 8 when you can to take advantage of faster bug fixes and new features.

-Dave

ref: dev/windows/opw#5169

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member

I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to include to recommendation for upgrading to version 8. I'm also quite sure that you're aware that this topic was only started because an update was made on version 7 ...

I would definitively lose my faith in the way you treat paying customers if this was nothing more than a small bug that was accidentally caused. Lot's of folks that trusted you before the change of pay/hosting-models are still active users. We're quite sensitive to what is done the version we paid for (and love by the way) and things that look like measurements to enforce an update we don't want to make.

• quazilogic
    quazilogic
    Community Member

This is from the release notes labelled under "improvements". Improvements for advertising? Improvements to make the interface more cluttered? I'm missing the whole improvements label I'm afraid.

"IMPROVEMENTS

• Added more information about 1Password 8 for Windows being available in various spots. {OPW-!2713}
    • Updated the icon in our upgrade offer in the sidebar. {OPW-5165}"

There was no "upgrade offer in the sidebar", at least not a persistent one my version v7.9.832. I may have dismissed one so that it permanently disappeared the first time, and now it is just appearing under the help menu - which I can tolerate.

Personally, I will run version 7 and my standalone vault for as long as it can last. I just don't like subscriptions, plain and simple.

By 2030, according to the WEF, you will own nothing and you'll be happy and whatever you want, you will rent". It seems like that's the direction all companies are headed in. I'm not sure how I feel about that future to be honest. First it's Netflix, then its O365, followed by GamePass, then 1Password... It's just a lot of small, little subscription steps into a completely dependent future, isn't it...

• darya9p2ubru
    darya9p2ubru
    Community Member

By the way, the visibility of this thread has been restricted. Although this discussion includes the category "1Password 7 for Windows", the thread was no longer displayed in the list view and can not be searched except for 1 message: https://1password.community/categories/1password-for-windows Since several complaints about the dismiss button have been received here, it should not be denied or hidden from view.

Why is there censorship?

• snnrman
    snnrman
    Community Member

As a note, 1Password 7 is no longer being regularly updated (aside from major bugs and security issues) and I recommend updating to 1Password 8 when you can to take advantage of faster bug fixes and new features.

Your team literally broke my 1P 7 and now you asking me to buy 1P 8?

• Our developers are currently investigating the issue, this was not a deliberate change and hopefully the dismiss button will be fixed soon.

-Dave

• @darya9p2ubru

Your account was flagged since you used profanity in one of your comments. Since you made the first post this flag inadvertently affected the thread as well. I've removed the profanity from your comment and the flag on your account.

Profanity and insults are not allowed in the support community. Before participating further please review the community rules and reminders: Forum Rules & Reminders - Read before posting — 1Password Support Community

-Dave

• snnrman
    snnrman
    Community Member

It is still not fixed.

• snnrman
    snnrman
    Community Member

It is STILL not fixed.

• Thank you for following up. I see that the internal work item for the issue is still open but I don't have any updates to share at the moment.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.